Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

$12 Dresser Makeover

$12

This little dresser has alot of history to it. It came from Whitefish Lodge which was open in the late 1930s located in Canada's oldest Provincial Park, known as Algonquin Park. I was fortunate to grow up in the small town located just minutes away from this breathtaking natural wonder and spent a lot of time there growing up and have been able to allow my son the same experiences. My grandmother bought

12 dresser makeover

So my first step was to gather supplies. For this project all that is needed is a screwdriver , scissors, exacto blade, measuring tape and of course the Faux Wood peel and stick planks. These come in four different wood colors , eight in a package, and $3.00 a pkg.

12 dresser makeover

Next step is to remove knobs, one I was unable to remove no matter what I tried so I had to work around it. Then I washed it with soap and water to remove any dirt and grim.

12 dresser makeover

So once it is dry, you are going to take a tape measure and measure the drawer from top to bottom. I will be using all four different wood colors and running them up and down.

12 dresser makeover

Measure and cut your pieces to desired length.

12 dresser makeover

Here they are cut. Now it is time to remove backing and apply to dresser.

12 dresser makeover

So start your first piece off and alternate between light and dark colors til you reach the other end.

12 dresser makeover

So here is one drawer finished. Continue this process with the other two drawers. For those of you noticing the difference in color in my pictures that is the sun coming in my windows and brightening up the space.

12 dresser makeover

So here is all 3 drawers complete. At this point you can stop here, but because I use this in my dining room I opted to do the top also to save some wear and tear on the surface. I used the same pattern on the top. Once complete using an exacto blade pierce small holes where knobs will go, and reattach knobs.

12 dresser makeover

So here it is finished.

12 dresser makeover

I love how this turned out. I managed to give it a mini update while maintaining the original finish to this dresser. This project was one of the easiest to do and only cost my $12.00 .

• SD

nicely done! Who makes these faux planks? I don’t see them on the amazon link.

• Renata

Where did u get the peel n stick for 3$ ?

• Cindy Rubin

Are the artificial 'wood' stick on pieces removable without damaging the original surface (in case I don't like my end result)?