First, we started with the safety features that needed to be updated right away. We took the original dry wall out and in the process, removed four walls from the interior of the home. Two were load-bearing, so our contractor worked in the roof to restructure the beams above to help shift the weight. Once those were down, it was time to replace the wiring. Our electrician took out all of the original wiring and installed new, safer outlets wiring throughout the home.
Next, we knew there was at least some presence of lead-based paint in the home, as it was built more than 60 years ago before more modern regulations took hold. Most of that issue was taken care of when we removed the walls and drywall, but there were still a few interior window sills that we needed to replace.
Then came the fun task of replacing all of the windows in the home. These were also original and had become drafty over the decades as the seal loosened. As such, we were losing heat during the winter and draining AC in the summer. We replaced the windows with new, EnergyStar-rated ones that have saved us a significant amount on our monthly utility bill. We used a reference similar to this guide to help us choose a style that fit our home aesthetics while still being functional.