Book Knife Block

$4

I have little counter space and wanted to make a knife block that wouldn't consume my entire counter. I also wanted it to be a little out of the norm. Meaning wood. Anyhow I was at my Habitat store and noticed some old books. They had 3 identical sizes. So I purchased them for a whopping 75 cents. In an afternoon they would become my new knife block.

book knife block

So here is the supplies needed for this project. Self adhesive laminating paper, modge podge hard coat, raffia, 3 books( you can alternate sizes), scissors, exacto blade, sponge brush, and a cork fabric sheet. I used this to cover one of my books .

book knife block

So first I removed the paper covers on my books. Two were shades of blue but I wasn't loving the red and green one.

book knife block

So you are going to take one of your knives and open the book in a random spot. Trace around the blade. When doing this make sure that the angle of the blade is facing the back of the book, ( the spine ). Your knife will go in on an angle.

book knife block

Next using scissors or an exacto blade you are going to cut out the traced blade. I cut about 30 pages. This will depend on how thick your blade is.

book knife block

So here it is cut out.

book knife block

Now you are going to take a sheet of laminating paper. I put it between the book and traced around it to get the size needed. Now cut out the traced piece.

book knife block

Now you are going to apply it to the first page and cut out the blade hole.

book knife block

Next you are going to take your modge podge and a foam brush and open your book to the last page that was cut for your blade. Apply the modge podge to the page and to the cut out area outlining the blade. Close book and apply the modge podge around the top, bottom, and side of book where paper is exposed. This will make the pages hard. You will continue these steps with the other two books. Set them aside and let dry.

book knife block

So as I mentioned I didn't care for the red and green on one book. I ended up using this cork fabric sheet I found at the dollar store. You can opt to use scrapbook paper, wallpaper, paint, or just leave the books as is,whatever you choose. I cut about a 2 and a half inch strip of paper to cover the spine. Using glue I glued the strip onto the spine. Let dry.

book knife block

So once your modge podge is dry on your books you are going to take them and wrap an elastic around all three to secure them. Now take a piece of raffia and tie around your 3 books. I had to tie two bunches together to get the desired length.

book knife block

Place in desired location and place knives in the slots you created. This was a super cheap and easy project and you can tweak it to suit your needs, cutting out more slots for smaller knives, scissors etc. You can create so many different looks using books. Love my new knife block!

• Janice

Wonderful idea and looks lovely. Could you explain what you did with the laminating paper ? , I've read and read but don't get it?

• Janice

Thank you Sue. 💞 I couldn't get the just of it, I even put it on tv to see pictures in large scale but don't see any laminate paper on the book pages. 💌

• Gail Ribas

Great idea! I would use old cookbooks in the kitchen...

• Rosalie Rogers
      23 minutes ago

Great idea with the cookbooks but I think you might be able to simplify the whole project.. See my comment next.

• Rosalie Rogers
    24 minutes ago

I would just tie glue or tie the books together, not bother with cutting the pages at all, and just slip the knives between the pages. I believe the slots are already there between the pages. Just make sure your knives are dry when storing them.