5 Best Bedroom Color Palettes, According to Psychology

It’s no secret that color affects our mood, but did you know you can use color to change the way you think? It might even be affecting your sleep! But don't worry, here's some info to make the most out of your bedroom with color!

Brought to you by Hometalk Room Makeovers. Stop saying "I just sleep here" and turn your bedroom into a space you love. Schedule your free consult today!

Let’s apply this principle to the bedroom. But first thing’s first, you have to decide what you want to feel:

• Do you want to feel calm and tranquil for a good night's’ rest?
  • Do you want to wake up feeling energized for the day ahead?
  • Or are you a creative that wants to feel inspired when they wake up?

Calming

Neutral

A neutral color scheme is a safe way to go if you want your bedroom to be a place of calm and rest. Crisp whites and non-stimulating neutrals don’t draw the eye to any particular object, which will allow you to drift to sleep easily.

Blue

Blue is another go-to for a soothing space. The color blue is associated in our minds with calm, tranquility, and safety. All of which combined create a room that has a similar effect on us as the womb. We naturally feel comfortable and safe in blue room.

Energizing

Yellow

The color yellow is exciting! It stimulates our senses and wakes us up. It’s also an optimistic color, decorating your bedroom with yellow is like giving yourself a natural motivational pep-talk every morning. (And who wouldn’t want that?)

Inspiration

Purple

If you’re a creative soul, or have a career in a creative industry (high five) then you know that finding inspiration right out of bed can be a little tough. But the color purple inspires creativity and stimulates the brain. Mixing it with other jewel tones such as sapphire, ruby, or emerald will increase this effect!

Green

If you’re looking for inspiration but don’t want to commit to purple, green can be a great alternative. It not only has a calming effect at night, but in the daylight it stimulates a feeling of inspiration and a reminder of nature. 

I hope this inspires you to change the color of your bedroom! Planning to paint? Let me know in the comments!

This post is brought to you by Hometalk Room Makeovers. Stop saying "I just sleep here" and turn your bedroom into a space you love.  Schedule your free consult today!

• Lailasultani

When I moved to my new house the living room walls next to fireplace was burgundy n dining room walls were the same color, the room looked dark even Day time, so I decided to color yellow, it looked much better, it looks bright, but we just remodeled our kitchen after a long time, the yellow color doesn’t look good, chestnut color cabinets whit n black granite! What color should I use for dining room?

• Jilly

If you like yellow it might just be the wrong tone of yellow. Get some actual paint samples and paint big poster board samples. There are yellows that lean towards green or tan or orange in very subtle ways. Cudos to u choosing the right color yellow originally though. Yellows can be very tricky.

• Eric

Hello, I moved to a new house. The ceiling has brown beams, and the walls are brown panels.

i want to brighten up the room with a light gray and white. I’m not sure if I should paint the beams as well. What you think?

• Allison

Sorry if my reply seems to be written to a female; I didn't look at your name before responding!

The same reply/info/advice applies to all genders (and non-genders?), but should probably have been expressed with different, genderless words. I hope you still get the idea :)

Also, men shouldn't be afraid to surround themselves with love-joy! Life is too short to spend doing anything but love+joy things that bring us happiness and contentment!

Besides structuring/designing it to flow so that it practically takes care of itself and you've got a worry-free, love-joy filled household that's purpose is to enable you to spend time doing and exploring and being and living, rather than home-upkeeping. You miss a lot of life but when home-upkeeping is your focus for the next 20 years and actual living drags along on the sidelines. I don't recommend it.

Home projects can be awesome and fun and very rewarding, but I've finally learned there needs to be a "done" time so you can have some empty space in your mind for worry-free, home-stressless fishing, napping, or building or creating something.

You might want to consider if that ceiling really needs painting or if a wipedown for now would be good enough. It's not like you can't do it later (in many cases).

It'd be easiest to spray the whole ceiling, but before doing that, I do urge you to inquire about resale impact, especially if you're not expecting to stay there for a number of years. And then if I'd urge you to look into the architecture of the home and see if you can jive with it; I strongly think. that in the long run, you'll be more content in your home. I can't express why I think that; the only word that comes to mind is 'harmomy'.

All the best!

• Angela Taylor

I have painted my Master Bedroom Silk Opal Green with white trim, white furniture. Could you please give me some accent colors that will blend in well but add some color. I’ve added in gold trim on drawer pulls and one gold framed picture I love. Thank u for any ideas you can give me.

• Rachael

The previous owners of our house liked darker odd colors. Literally EVERY room is a different color. The living room is a dark teal-blue and it makes the room look and feel small and claustrophobic. We are going to go with a lighter grayish-blue and add yellow and blue accent colors.

• Hayley ~ Tea & Sawdust

Love it! Gray-blues are so serene, and adding yellow will pep it up a bit! Here are some amazing blue/greys that I adore! Vancourtland Blue is my favorite.

• Penny

I am colorblind do I paint the interior of my house the color I see it or do I paint it the color others see it

• Nancy Nichols Smith

Agree with Hayley! My brother is also colorblind, and sees brown as a shade of purple. He chose to paint the living room a pale green as it is a color he sees the same as his wife, and it is calming to both of them! Paint it the way it makes you happy, you live there!