How To Fix a Saggy Sofa

We bought our couch at Ashely Furniture almost 6 years ago. I still really like couch, but a couple months ago I couldn't help but notice it was looking a little tired. It was suffering from something I like to call "Saggy Sofa Syndrome." Not wanting to spend the money on a new couch, I decided to take matters into my own hands & bring new life to our tired little sofa. Here's what I did....
I gave our living room sofa a little makeover! It’s looking pretty now, but don’t be deceived! Just a few days ago, it was suffering from Saggy Sofa Syndrome.
We’ve had our living room sofa for almost 6 years now. We purchased it at Ashley furniture & believe it or not, I still really like it. Or at least I like it when it’s perky….
The saggy couch…I’m not real fond of it! Can you blame me?!
The first thing I did for this makeover was wash all of our couch cushion & throw pillow covers! This was pretty easy to do since all of our cushion covers have zippers on them. The cushions on the back of our couch do not come off, but they do still have the zipper enclosures underneath. I bought a 10lb box of Poly-Fil at our local Walmart store for $20.00 and used it to add more stuffing to the back cushions. I just unzipped the cushions & stuffed! Easy peasy!! You can see by looking at the picture below, that this in itself, made a HUGE difference in our couch!
I also used the Poly-Fil to re-stuff my throw pillow covers.
As far as the seat cushions go, I perked them up a bit using some Poly-Fil Quilt Batting. Again, I bought the batting at our local Walmart. It was around $9.00. I actually went through two packages on the couch. You can see the “before” photo of the cushion in the upper right hand corner of the photo below & the “after” photo underneath. I added 3 layers of quilt batting to the cushion before putting it back into it’s cover. To prevent the quilt batting from shifting inside the cover, I secured each layer with a spray adhesive that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. I simply sprayed a layer of the adhesive between each layer of quilt batting.
Here is what the couch looked like when I was finished. Much, much better!

Tonya Diehl

• Belinda Roberts

What if your back cushions don't have zippers? Would I have to cut & try to resew back?

• Luerettia

My sofa is leather. How do I fill fhese cushions. They don't come off.

• Linda Todd

I too bought an Ashley sofa. It's a sofa bed actually. Springs are easy I get to but are still in great shape. Six years old as well. Mine has zippers for the back cushions. Yay. How did you wash the seat covers? Didn't they shrink?

• Beth

I wash mine inside out and use cold water. I used to hang them dry. Over the years, I’ve gotten lazy & dry them in the dryer. I use cooler temps if using dryer

• Maria

Thank you so much for this post, I somewhat already had the same idea with the backing of the couch but didn’t know how to correct the seat cushions, your my couch saver!!!

• Bonnie

This is a great idea. I am going to try it on a couple of chairs. Thankyou