Beautiful DIY Rag Rug

$4

I was looking to put a rug in my guest room and really wanted something unique but circular and colourful. Decided to try and have a ago at making one out of some old sheets and fabric on DIY hula hoop old t-shirt loom!

Cut old t -shirt into inch wide strips.
Cut old t -shirt into inch wide strips.

I bought a second hand hula hoop from online at a bargain price and began cutting strips about an inch wide from the bottom up of an old t shirt.

i then began positioning them on the hoop.

T shirt strips and DIY hula hoop loom
T shirt strips and DIY hula hoop loom

i position the strips of t shirt around edge of hoop evenly to create loom.

Making the loom
Making the loom

And keep going until lots of sections.

DIY Loom
DIY Loom

I cut the fabric strips from old sheets and keep going continuously so it’s in one long piece. I do this with a few sheets and fabrics in different colours.

Cut in one continuous strip
Cut in one continuous strip

The loom and fabric now ready to begin weaving.

I decide to use the lighter colour in the center

Loom and fabric ready to weave
Loom and fabric ready to weave

I found it easier to make a start of weave under and over technique with loom hanging in my pond roof but you can find somewhere convenient to hang it to gain ease of working with the fabric in and out.

Weave beginning in center
Weave beginning in center

And keep weaving under and over technique changing the colours by knitting a new colour strip to create a pattern and variety.

Changing colour on the loom
Changing colour on the loom

It takes time to weave and is a project to do a bit each day and it grows and becomes bigger.

The rug slowly grows bigger.
The rug slowly grows bigger.

When the rug weave reaches the edge and is obvious cannot grow any more it is time to cut off the loom.

Cut rug away from hoop loom
Cut rug away from hoop loom

I tied the T-shirt strings in knots to prevent unravel and I kept these as part of the design feature.

i really like the unique and textural result!

Beautiful Rag rug
Beautiful Rag rug

• Alexis Mottola Welch

This looks like it would be a lot of fun to make with my kids. I’m thinking we can each make one or two, and somehow joining them all together. How long did this take you?

• Susan Goode

It is a fairly slow process but if you do a little each day the fun is seeing it grow and develop over a week. Finding somewhere to hang it so you can work on it easily is key.

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

This doesn’t look like a hula hoop I’ve every see. Did you add those “knobs” for lack of better term, if so what are they and where do you get them?

• Susan Goode

Yes the hoop is for fitness and exercise waistline but i think I had more fun with it on my project!!

• Stephanie

I never would have thought of using a hula hoop for a loom...genius! And your rug is so cute! Quick question(s) about the planter in the background; did you create it, is there a tutorial & where can i find it? I love how colorful it is & would like to make something similar. Thanks!

• Susan Goode

Hi Yes thanks the planter is also on my hometalk page . I love it has inspired you!

• Dl.5660408

Your choice of color has made a beautiful, unique rug. Well done!

• Laurie

Great idea! Who DOESN’T have old stretched-out tees or faded sheets? (And you can only make so many t-shirt quilts!) I’ve never seen a loom like that, but it’s inspired me to make my own rectangular one out of scrap wood and nails - like oversized pot-holder loom. Your technique looks faster than the braided variety.

• Susan Goode

I’m so happy that you were inspired to make your own and now that’s given me idea to do a rectangular one!! Yes is a little bit each day and enjoy the steady progress!