Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Stencilmania/Making a Stenciled Leaning Organizer & Stenciling Fabric

$75

Are you looking for more ways to use stencils in your home? Stenciling tile is all the rage right now but if you don't have tile and you still want to try your hand at stenciling, here are some ideas. When I caught the stenciling bug several years back, I stenciled many different items in my house. We were living in a rather bland and boring rental home and I wanted to add personality to it. Stencils items is a great way to decorate rentals. I had several stencils but my favorite was from Cutting Edge Stencils and it was the focal point that I used for creating symmetry in my daughter's bedroom. The stencil is called Stephanie's Lace Allover. Stenciling a wall or a floor can seem like a huge time commitment but these stencil projects can be done in just a few hours.

creating a stenciled leaning organizer and stenciling fabric

All the projects that I stenciled began with one stencil, The Cutting Edge Stencil's Stephanie's Lace Allover Stencil. By using different paints and mediums and stenciling different objects, I felt like I created a symmetry of design in my daughter's room but it wasn't over powering. IMHO it gave her room a custom one of a kind look but it didn't have the "custom" price tag.

I went to the big box hardware store and looked at their selection of plywood. I needed something that wasn't flimsy. It needed to stay rigid when leaning up against the wall. There are many different options and price points to choose from. On top of this piece of wood I would be attaching a piece of 24 inches by 36 inches galvanized sheet metal. Also, found at the hardware store.

I used Liquid Nails to attach the sheet metal to my plywood. Then I painted everything with several coats of artist gesso. I knew gesso could cover many different mediums and then be sanded and painted but a paint primer safe for metal would work too.

This picture is a before picture to the previous picture. While the liquid nails was drying, I used small weights to apply pressure but you can use books, paint cans, you name it.

One piece of plywood is 4 by 8 ft so you can make different sizes of leaning boards to suit your needs. When they were cutting mine, they made a mistake and so they gave me the mistake for free and then they cut the next one perfectly so I had lots of pieces of wood. I would recommend writing it out and even having a picture drawn of the 4 by 8 and how you want it cut. Sometimes it just makes it easier for them to see it on paper.

For the background, I used Sherwin Williams Refresh and I used Martha Stewart Pearl craft paint for the stenciling portion. The stenciled image only shows up very subtly. I used a foam roller to apply the paint.

So, here is the leaning organizer/art board in action. IRL the pattern is much more subtle. You even have to have the light catch it just show for the pattern to show up. In this picture, I have a bright light on it and with camera, it seems to show up more vividly. I love adding clothespin magnets. Also, those magnetic locker organizers work great on it. We have never had an issue with it falling over but all my kids are older. If you have small kids or you would just feel safer, I would anchor it to the wall.

If I were using the magnet board as a teen, it would be my makeup station. The magnet board is great to have everything at the ready and you can stand really close to the mirror and apply your makeup. I just used a magnet on an Altoid tin to make a brush holder for the tiny brushes.

Next, I bought a couple of white shower curtains at Big Lots.

Again, I used my much loved, Stephanie's Lace stencil. I put a piece of cardboard under the shower curtain and I used a teal color craft paint and Martha Stewart fabric medium to apply the paint to the shower curtain. I followed the directions on the bottle on the ratio of paint to medium. I think it ended up on the runny side so make a small amount first so you can adjust as needed. I used a sponge roller to apply the paint. Fabric was a bit harder than the wood because it has a tendency to stretch and move about on you. I've never stenciled fabric again and I think it was because fabric is "tricky". But, the end result was pretty spectacular.

I used shower curtain rings to suspend the shower curtain from her Ikea loft bed and create a dressing room.

We could even tie it back at the corners.

Here is a shot of the leaning organizer and her stenciled privacy curtain. This room was always too bright or too dark for pictures but she loved it.

I also stenciled an Ikea table... You can find that tutorial here... http://www.hometalk.com/8781386/a-little-ikea-table-gets-a-big-makeover-ces-stephanie-s-lace-allover" target="_blank">http://www.hometalk.com/8781386/a-little-ikea...

Here's the hanging pegboard. There is a tutorial on Hometalk for this project. You can find it here... http://www.hometalk.com/8836820/stenciled-pegboard-organizer?expand_all_questions=1" target="_blank">http://www.hometalk.com/8836820/stenciled-peg...

And where do these projects live now? Well, my daughter has redecorated her room since these were created years ago. They are happily helping me organize my craft room and I love them dearly. What do you think? How would you use these in your home and have you ever caught the stenciling bug and stenciled nearly everything in your home?

• Linda Premo

Super cute projects. All are creative and practical. Your forest in the background is so pretty.

• Macky

Almost $70 for a stencil  !!!!!

• Charlee Hunter

Yes well, I love cutting edge stencils , they are very well made. Nice thick plastic and they can be used over, and over and over ... well you get the idea. This one is quite large as well. This stencil would last for as long as you take care of it. (many of my cutting edge stencils are now over 5-6 yrs old and still perfect)