How to Make a Vintage-Style Frosted Glass Sign

$10

When I recently helped my parents with a $100 kitchen refresh we needed to come up with a budget-friendly (and cute!) solution for obscuring the clear glass in some overhead cabinet doors.

how to make a vintage style frosted glass sign

They had been using the cabinet purely for display purposes though wanted to reclaim it as a space to house all of their regular dishes - however, they didn't want to have to worry about keeping things super neat and tidy all the time.

An obvious solution is frosting the glass...though I decided to take things up a notch!

Rather than coating the glass entirely I used some basic alphabet stickers to create a vintage-style graphic.

It's hard to make out in the photograph though it states "Watson's Bakery Co. EST. 1978" ("Watson" being my parent's family name and "1978" being the year they were married).

It was a total experiment so I didn't document the process first time around however so many people have commented on it I decided to create a tutorial.

I've summarised this tutorial slightly for HomeTalk. You can find the full how-to on my blog here.

Firstly, ensure your glass is nice and clean.

Obviously, I used cabinet doors for my first project however for the purpose of this tutorial I'm simply using an old picture frame.

Next, decide on your graphic.

Of course, this is entirely up to you. Just make sure it works with the size of your glass and chosen stickers.

To ensure I attached the letters nice and level, I ruled a straight line on a piece of paper then positioned it behind my glass to act as a guide.

I then cut my stickers out individually and roughly arranged them to ensure they would fit before adhering them.

Once I was happy I began attaching my stickers. I simply eyed the placement however you could always draw extra guide lines on your sheet of paper if you don't feel confident or want to be super precise.

I also added a basic line which I cut from a strip of painter's tape.

After two light coats of frosting spray paint the glass is now translucent. Once touch dry you can begin peeling the stickers back to reveal the sign.

It's as easy as that!

Thanks so much for reading. I hope you like it!

Visit my blog post here for the full how-to and further photos.

Kristine | The Painted Hive

• Peggy

Is there anyway of making your own frost paint to brush on your glass?

• Darla

I've seen the frosting film and used a type of it. It is a little pricey but no more so than the spray paint and maybe less messy than the spray paint. As for the stuff that actually etches the glass? Be careful that stuff is harmful if not handled correctly/carefully. Love the idea though.

• Beth

Where will I find the Frosting Glass material? It looks like it is available in a spray bottle. Thank You in advance e.

• Gloria

Easier yet, buy it in the paint section at home depot or Lowe's. Just spray it on. Did the window in my back door.

• Daryl Taylor

So what does this have to do with the laundry room??!?

• Kristine | The Painted Hive

Thanks Melanie. Well, obviously that link wasn't created by me. Where is it from? The Home Talk newsletter? Or Facebook or Pinterest? :)

• KB

Love the result! Great solution for me, know just how to use! Thanks for the idea!

• Barb

Do you sell the paint? The last time that I frosted glass it washed off.

• Kristine | The Painted Hive

Being so shiny and smooth glass can be a difficult substrate so some care is needed when cleaning. Still, the paint I used is super well adhered and I definitely can't see it being "washed off". I guess like any paint it would probably fail if it became completely saturated.