How to Make a Vintage-Style Frosted Glass Sign

$10

When I recently helped my parents with a $100 kitchen refresh we needed to come up with a budget-friendly (and cute!) solution for obscuring the clear glass in some overhead cabinet doors.

They had been using the cabinet purely for display purposes though wanted to reclaim it as a space to house all of their regular dishes - however, they didn't want to have to worry about keeping things super neat and tidy all the time.

An obvious solution is frosting the glass...though I decided to take things up a notch!

Rather than coating the glass entirely I used some basic alphabet stickers to create a vintage-style graphic.

It's hard to make out in the photograph though it states "Watson's Bakery Co. EST. 1978" ("Watson" being my parent's family name and "1978" being the year they were married).

It was a total experiment so I didn't document the process first time around however so many people have commented on it I decided to create a tutorial.

I've summarised this tutorial slightly for HomeTalk. You can find the full how-to on my blog here.

Firstly, ensure your glass is nice and clean.

Obviously, I used cabinet doors for my first project however for the purpose of this tutorial I'm simply using an old picture frame.

Next, decide on your graphic.

Of course, this is entirely up to you. Just make sure it works with the size of your glass and chosen stickers.

To ensure I attached the letters nice and level, I ruled a straight line on a piece of paper then positioned it behind my glass to act as a guide.

I then cut my stickers out individually and roughly arranged them to ensure they would fit before adhering them.

Once I was happy I began attaching my stickers. I simply eyed the placement however you could always draw extra guide lines on your sheet of paper if you don't feel confident or want to be super precise.

I also added a basic line which I cut from a strip of painter's tape.

After two light coats of frosting spray paint the glass is now translucent. Once touch dry you can begin peeling the stickers back to reveal the sign.

It's as easy as that!

Thanks so much for reading. I hope you like it!

Visit my blog post here for the full how-to and further photos.

Kristine | The Painted Hive

• Peggy

Is there anyway of making your own frost paint to brush on your glass?

• Julie Storms Robuccio

believe it or not, you can do this without having to commit to a permanent design. If you use spray matte paint sealer. I have frosted windows with this and you can clean them without hurting the design, and it can be scraped off with a razor when you decide you want to change it. The key is to use an even amount of spray. You can make the frost more transparent or opaque depending on how many coats you apply. The coats of paint will dry quickly if you use a hairdryer on low.

• Beth A Walsh

Where will I find the Frosting Glass material? It looks like it is available in a spray bottle. Thank You in advance e.

• Lou

There's also a light aqua "sea glass" frosting spray.

• Daryl Taylor

So what does this have to do with the laundry room??!?

• Margherita McCallum

Huh? Sorry, Kristine, i skimmed through her instructions and i didn't come across anywhere where she mentions a laundry room. Are you maybe mistaking this from another post? Lol, we've all done it, so no biggie.

• Trudi

Great idea. I was never a fan of the glass doors in a kitchen. One more window to clean and all the stuff inside should be a display look. I wasn't aware of a spray paint for the frost, so that makes it even easier.

• Ronda

I like the end results, great good and can't wait to try it myself. Thank you for sharing.