How to Make a DIY String Art Wooden Plaque

$10

String art is a super cute and super simple way to personalize home decor. This is a project that children can help with as well!

Let's get started!

SUPPLIES FOR STRING ART:

• Embroidery thread in colors of choice
  • Hammer
  • Nails (small wire nails or similar)
  • Wooden Plaque (you can make your own, or grab a pre-made wooden plaque from a craft store such as Hobby Lobby)
  • Scissors
  • Pattern to trace for outline of design (more on that below!)

STEPS FOR STRING ART PROJECT:

• Step 1: Determine the design you want to use. I love using something with personal meaning. This participator project was for a gift from my daughter to her uncle. He LOVES Destin, Florida so this was perfect for him!

• Step 2: Google images of what you'd like to design and print off a simple image. We wanted a beach type of theme, so we just started looking for something that would give us the beach-vibe. For us, a seahorse won! You might need to enlarge the image before you print it so it fits perfectly on your wooden plaque. PRINT AN EXTRA COPY OF YOUR PATTERN / image you select to save as a guide. Think of this like looking at the front of a puzzle box when putting a puzzle together. Having the image in front of you makes it a lot easier!

• Step 3: Hammer nails along the outline of your image. I'll be honest, I didn't measure. This is such a simple project, that it's hard to mess up, so don't overthink it!
  • Step 4: Remove the stencil. After you have hammered in your nails, carefully remove the paper from the board.

• Step 5: Start stringing your embroidery thread!

I started by using a base of white to go all around the outline of the seahorse. This made it a lot easier for my daughter to do her part.

As I mentioned above, be sure to print off an extra copy of the image you select. It just makes it a lot easier to see what the end result is supposed to look like!

Be sure to tie a good knot around a nail where you begin and end, with each color used.

• Step 6: Cut off any loose ends of the embroidery thread after tying your knots
  • Step 7 (OPTIONAL): Add wording to your sign using a stencil or cutting machine

This last step is completely optional. We used my Silhouette Cameo 3 cutting machine to make a fun beach phrase to add to our sign.

You could also use a stencil and paint a phrase or wording onto your sign. Chalk paint or even acrylic paint would work well for this, too!

There you have it! A completed string art project!

This is a project you can completely personalize to your interests!

I'm a bit of a sucker for any string art! I made a fun and simple Valentine Heart Banner using yarn you might also enjoy!

Good luck with your project! Pop on over to Love Our Real Life and say "hello"!

April

April at LoveOurRealLife