How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets The Perfect White

$150

So many questions on painting kitchen cabinets! Did you know that painting your kitchen cabinets really is not as hard as you think? You can paint your kitchen cabinets with minimal prep work!
My most requested color to paint kitchen cabinets is white! I'm going to tell you how to paint your kitchen cabinets white! With no sanding, and I promise it will not turn yellow over time. :)
PREP: Begin by lightly cleaning cabinets with vinegar and water. This will help remove any unseen dirt and grime from the cabinets. You can also use TSP if your cabinets are greasy and you need a degreaser. Remove hardware from kitchen cabinets and TAPE HINGES with painters tape (while you are doing these steps turn the pot of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint upside down. This will make sure all of the good stuff on the bottom works its wait to the top of the can.)
Once Cabinets are clean, hardware is removed and hinges have been taped you can begin by opening your can of chalk paint and dipping your Wooster paint brush into the pot of paint and and starting from the bottom of your kitchen cabinets start to paint with up and down paint strokes. Always paint with the grain. The Wooster Brush is nice because it is angled and will allow you to get into any nooks and crannies that your cabinet might have.
Keep painting cabinets until they have all been well covered with paint and you can not see any of the original cabinet finish underneath the paint. Once Cabinets have ALL been painted with 2-3 coats of Annie Sloan Chalk paint you can begin sealing your kitchen cabinets with clear finishing wax and a wax brush.
Take your wax brush and get a small amount of wax onto your brush. You can begin my going in circular motions to work the wax into the cabinets. Wipe excess wax off with a shop towel. Keep up with this pattern until all cabinets have been waxed. Wax creates a very durable finish. It is also water repellent. :) So any spills in the kitchen will wipe right off. :)
The Island After 2 coats of Chalk Paint
After Cabinets have been sealed with wax you can remove all tape from your project! We added tape to the floor of the island in this picture to make sure we would not get any paint on the tile.
Before and After
When tape has all been removed you can add your hardware back to the kitchen cabinets!
We have White Kitchen Cabinets!
Your kitchen cabinets are complete! Great job! The cabinets we painted were oak. Annie Sloan chalk paint works great over oak kitchen cabinets!
PRO TIP: Annie Sloan chalk paint drys in about 20 minutes! Allowing you to apply a 2nd coat quickly with no wait time!
PRO TIP: NO sanding with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. It is made from minerals and is environmentally friendly!
PRO TIP: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is also ODORLESS! No Yuckie fumes in your home while you are painting! This a great if you have PETS, ALLLERGIES or someone with ASHTMA in the home. :)
We were so happy to have this kitchen completed!

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Megan

• Pamera Canada Henry

What if you are painting over already painted cabinets? Would you still do this same procedure?

• Megan

Hi Pamera! Yes if the existing paint is in good condition just paint over it. Same process as above. :)

• Aida

Thank you for this, I am now eager to go change the color of my kitchen cabinets, however, I have a question, I don't see where you used the paint rollers and the polycrylic items, did I miss something in your instructions? :)

Thank you this is awesome!

• Zane

What if I have already painted over laminate but want to repaint all of them white? The top cabinets are cream and the bottoms are dark brown. Can I use any chalk paint...if I can still do this process..or do I need to sand off all of the paint?

• Megan

Hi Zane! This process should still work for you! You may need more coat of paint on the dark brown cabinets. But it should still all work just as the photos above! :) Hope that helps!

• Kim

Megan you are so sweet and amazing. Thank you for answering the questions that were posted. It helped me so much. I have those same standard kitchen cabinets and am NOW looking forward to painting per your method. Thanks again 🤗

• Megan

Oh YAE! I'm so happy it could help you!! Hope your painting is going well! :)

• Marissa from oz

I know colours on computer arnt allways accurate but this doesn't look very white at all,but thanks Its a great idea

• Megan

Yeah the color is "old White" So it's not a true white white. :)