Megan
Megan
  • Paragould, AR

How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets The Perfect White

$150

So many questions on painting kitchen cabinets! My most requested color to paint kitchen cabinets is white! I'm going to tell you how to paint your kitchen cabinets white! With no sanding, and I promise it will not turn yellow over time. :)

how to paint kitchen cabinets the perfect white

PREP: Begin my lightly cleaning cabinets with vinegar and water. This will help remove any unseen dirt and grime from the cabinets. You can also use TSP if your cabinets are greasy and you need a degreaser. Remove hardware from kitchen cabinets and TAPE HINGES with painters tape. (while you are doing these steps turn the pot of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint upside down. This will make sure all of the good stuff on the bottom works its wait to the top of the can.)

Once Cabinets are clean, hardware is removed and hinges have been taped you can begin by opening your can of chalk paint and dipping your Wooster paint brush into the pot of paint and and starting from the bottom of your kitchen cabinets start to paint with up and down paint strokes. Always paint with the grain. The Wooster Brush is nice because it is angled and will allow you to get into any nooks and crannies that your cabinet might have.

Keep painting cabinets until they have all been well covered with paint and you can not see any of the original cabinet finish underneath the paint. Once Cabinets have ALL been painted with 2-3 coats of Annie Sloan Chalk paint you can begin sealing your kitchen cabinets with clear finishing wax and a wax brush.

Take your wax brush and get a small amount of wax onto your brush. You can begin my going in circular motions to work the wax into the cabinets. Wipe excess wax off with a shop towel. Keep up with this pattern until all cabinets have been waxed. Wax creates a very durable finish. It is also water repellent. :) So any spills in the kitchen will wipe right off. :)

The Island After 2 coats of Chalk Paint
The Island After 2 coats of Chalk Paint

After Cabinets have been sealed with wax you can remove all tape from your project! We added tape to the floor of the island in this picture to make sure we would not get any paint on the tile.

Before and After
Before and After

When tape has all been removed you can add your hardware back to the kitchen cabinets!

We have White Kitchen Cabinets!
We have White Kitchen Cabinets!

Your kitchen cabinets are complete!

PRO TIP: Annie Sloan chalk paint drys in about 20 minutes! Allowing you to apply a 2nd coat quickly with no wait time!

PRO TIP: NO sanding with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. It is made from minerals and is environmentally friendly!

PRO TIP: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is also ODORLESS! No Yuckie fumes in your home while you are painting! This a great if you have PETS, ALLLERGIES or someone with ASHTMA in the home. :)

We were so happy to have this kitchen completed!

Megan

• Lkrupps

So you never even removed the cabinet doors? Did I read that right? Even if you don’t paint the inside, how did you cover the edges of the doors without removing them?

• Dottié

Is this chalk paint you use a bright white or antique white? I can't tell in the pictures. I am looking for very bright white for my cabinets. And also my hinges are one the outside. What do bibi use to clean those and what do I do with them? Paint them the same as the cabinets? Thank you. Your kitchen is beautiful!

• Megan

Hi Dottie! This "Old white" Is pretty white. It's not a cream or off white. You can buy a sample pot of this "Old white" by Annie Sloan to see if you like it!:)

They run close to $12. Here is the link. You can also ask her any questions. She is amazing!

I would use a small amount of vinegar and water to clean the hinges. You can paint them if you like them painted. If you paint them I would paint them the same color as the cabinets. It'll be easier that way. :)

• Judy

Love what you did, so bright and lighter. I love the flooring also, May I ask where you got that from. Thanks

• Megan

Thank you Judy! I'm not sure where the flooring is from! But, the Paint can be bought at your local Annie Sloan stockiest. :)

• Katie Arritt

Love this. My kitchen is from the 70s . My whole house is paneled and dark. I hate it. This would brightened up my kitchen so much. I'm not creative and the man I share my house with is a professional painter and remodel home person but he doesn't want to try to improve on the house. I'm thinking about trying to tackle this project. Love it

• Megan

Yae Katie! I think you can totally do it! It will impress your hubs! Ha. :)

• Wxw
    2 hours ago

Great job, Megan. A total transformation. While we have a kitchen full of windows, it is dark bc of the dark cherry cabinets. My husband believes the only way to get a descent painted finish is to spray them. I disagree, but if i wanted to use this process, i would be on my own. Will look into Annie Sloan products. Thanks for sharing.

• Megan
      31 minutes ago

Hi!! Thank you SO much! Sprayed finishes are beautiful! After we painted these cabinets they have very minimal brush strokes. And the no sanding, or having to degloss was great! :) Blessings to you on your painting cabinet journey! I bet the hubs will come around! :)