Lindi
Lindi
Asked on Apr 9, 2019

How do I know if these rusty chairs are safe to use?

LindiLora BloomquistNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+13

Am moving and undecided whether these are still safe to use ?If so, how can I treat the rust or are they even upcyclable ?Seems a shame to dispose of them.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Lindi,

If you could upload a picture it would help me give a better answer, but whatever it is you could try using WD-40 to remove the surface dust and free up joints......Good luck

• Lindi

Sorry, added photo this afternoon and forgot to let you know 🙄

• Lynn Sorrell

picture did not post

• Lynn Sorrell

OK saw the chairs...I think they look fine just use SOS,Brillo,steel wool to rub off rusty spots then spot paint the rusty areas with Rustoleum to match or paint the whole chair; each one a nice bright color would be fun. If you use plain steel wool add some WD40 to it while rubbing out rust then wash well with dawn to remove grease/oil before you touch them up or repaint.

• Tinyshoes

Lindi...Not sure what you have w/o picture. Thanks

• Lindi

• Lindi

It won’t load for some reason. I’ll try again, sorry

• Lindi

Oh there you go !!!

• Lindi

Right....just to be clear....see the above picture of my garden chairs, there are six of them and I don’t really want to bin them but there are rust spots at some of the welded joints and I was wondering how I know whether they are still safe to use or not.......ie, is someone going to become a cropper if the chair was to collapse because of the rusted joints ?

• Lindi

Can anyone help me out ? Can you see the photo now ?

• Just remove the rust and repaint. Still safe to use. Just needs a bit of elbow grease.

• Lora Bloomquist

I use Brillo or S.O.S. pads to scrub the rust away and rinse with hot water. Then give the metal a light sanding with 100 grit or less sandpaper, wipe or blow the dust off. Spray paint a couple light coats. They'll look as good as new, and you could change the color if you want!

• Lindi

Heaps of thanx to everyone who replied but alas…they hit the tip with Hubby regardless of my “but I can treat the rust”, “but I can paint them and make them look new” 😡