A Faux Miniature Bee Skep

$3

I've seen large authentic bee skeps in magazines for years but honestly never new what they were called - until now! I love how they turned out and I htink they look like the real thing. Come check it out!

Back in the olden days, Bee Skeps were used for keeping bees. They were large domes hand sewn and usually made of straw. I don't plan on keeping bees but did want to have a cute accessory for my tablescape.

All you need is a hot glue gun, rope, a plastic container, scissors and a black sharpie or Exacto knife. It literally took only 10 minutes to make.

Step 1: Using the hot glue gun, simply start with one drop to secure the end of the rope to the plastic pot, starting at the bottom.

Step 2: Work in about 3 - 4 inch intervals and hot glue the rope around the plastic pot until you've reached the top. Step 3: At the top, start adding the rope to enclose the open end. Step 4: With the small amount of rope left over, cut it off and hot glue it inside the top - tucking it inside.

Step 5: Figure out how small you want the handle on the top and cut the length.Step 6: Secure the handle to the top of the bee skep with hot glue.Step 7: About 1/3 the way up from the bottom of the skep, draw out a square with the black Sharpie.Step 8: You can use the Exacto knife to carefully cut out the square for a more authentic looking skep or just leave it. 

I wouldn't recommend this craft for children because of the hot glue and Exacto knife. But this works well for kids if you use thin rope or string and Mod Podge and only the Sharpie. Come check for more details on my blog page. You'll want to make several more!

Cindy Richter

• Annie

You didn't start at the bottom of the pot when did you fill this in thanks

• Lucy Marie Bernier

To cute made one something like that. I bought a bag of bees on wires. They look like they were flying around the hive.

• Cindy Richter

Oh my goodness, I bet that looks fantastic! Great idea! Thanks for sharing that. :)