DIY Rope Rug

$120

To complete my Coastal/Boho look out on the deck, I wanted to make a rug!

I’d been looking for a natural/creamy coloured rug but couldn’t find one I liked!

So what do you do?

Make one yourself!

Previously I had been addicted to a type of rope - called cotton sash cord and loved making trays and baskets so I already had the rope and a hot glue gun with packs of glue sticks.

Materials

Here’s how I made it!

Firstly I bent the cotton sash cord around in a circular pattern, glued in between and held the cord together for a few seconds.

I continued gluing until I had approximately twelve rows.

I then decided to challenge myself by making a row out of loops. I just simply bent the rope into loops and glued.

Then I repeated the plain circular pattern with twelve rows followed by another larger different loopy design.

All the loops are glued and need to be evenly spaced apart.

Another plain twelve rows were glued together before starting on the small circles.

The small circle designs were the most time consuming but also the most striking part of the rug!

As I came to end of making each circle I would place each one on top of each other to make sure they were the same size.

It was also important to glue a few circles together before gluing onto the rug.

To make the circles look tidy I tapered the ends down before gluing and also lined up the ends before gluing so that each circles position was the same.

Just another tip - measure to see how many circles will fit around the rug so you know how to space them and what size you need to make.

In the end the Diameter of the rug measured 115cm and I made sure it was nice and sturdy!!

I did use approximately 8 rolls of cord and the price came in around $120 but I did use a more expensive brand of cord. It is possible to make it for under $80 with cheaper cord.

Another tip is to Scotch Guard the rug to protect it.

Even though it took a couple days to make, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it grow bit bit and so worth it in the end.

You don’t have to be a creative genius to make something like this - you just need a little imagination, patience and determination!

YOU TOO CAN MAKE THIS!!!👍

• Margaret eaton

I liked this idea I think I'm going to make one. How would you wash it. Thank you for the lovely idea.

• Michelle | lookwhat_i_found

Hi

I used scotch guard to protect it!

Probably a gentle hand wash if necessary!

I’m using it in an area where’s there’s not s lot of traffic.

• Emily

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe a high pressure wash. It certainly can’t go in the washer.

• Pamela Maurer

How does the rug hold up to traffic?

• Michelle | lookwhat_i_found

Hi

It’s in an area where’s there’s not a lot of traffic!

It’s pretty good quality cord so pretty sturdy!

I would recommend using scotch guard to protect it.

• Sandra Ross Warren

I shall rename this the "Floor Doily". This is really cute. I suppose that if someone was concerned with it holding up better they could place a backing on it (maybe non slip), and maybe even in a contrasting color. But it really is pretty cool. Would love a smaller version for my table and it could double as a trivet for hot dishes.

• Studio VH Design

TRULY WOW. No dogs no kids I take it? LOL Very impressed.

• Maureen

What a beautiful rug!!! It must have taken a lot of time to do it with hot glue. My experience with hot glues is they work for tiny projects, Not a beautiful rug like this, truly, you did not have to sew any of the areas together?? I would think with the rope material there would have been some struggle..... Doing crafts for years and feel in love with this one!

• Oreomom5000

Lovely! Have you ever tried dying the cotton cord?

• Rebecca

You can paint them. I have these on my wrap around country porch.

• Elaine

Will any glue gun and glue sticks work or do I need specific one?

• Elaine

Did you glue back of circles to keep rope together or??? Anything more I need to know? I've never used a glue gun or attempted this of project.

• Carla

I love this, the rope is a little expensive since you need approximately 8 rolls. Has anyone tried this with a different rope?

• Joan

I would like to do this but make it a rectangle instead of a circle. Do you have any ideas how to start the second row?

• Mcgypsy9

You would have to start your center as a square or a rectangle so the next row would be square or rectangle as well. An easy way to start is to get a piece of cardboard the size you want the center and follow the cardboard from the middle out. Hope that helps.

P.S. I wanted to also add that if you made a circle in the center you could also start by gluing a square rope to it for the 2nd section, so you could just make corners on the round and end up with 4 corners. Hope that makes sense to you.

• Michelle | lookwhat_i_found

Hi

The answer you received from Mcgypsy9 is correct!

It’s pretty easy to start with a square shape.👍

• Hlpinghand

I love this! Big question for me--any idea how you'll clean it when it gets dirty? Thank you so much for any insight you can provide!

• Kim Weaver

If you Scotch Guard it as suggested, you should be able to just hose it off. It will require reapplications of Scotch Guard from time to time.

• Michelle | lookwhat_i_found

Yes I used scotch guard to protect it.

• Hlpinghand

Thank you!

• Lelia Zamorano

HOW LONG THE RUG IT'S LAST BECAUSE WAS USED ONLY HOT GLUE

• Hlpinghand

Lelia, my plan was to use the hot glue to put it together, then turn it over and whip stitch each coil so it stays together. But I'm really behind in all my projects so I'm not sure I'll get to this one, but I sure like it!

• Tricia

OH MY GOOOSHNESSS!!!! I LOVE THIS! I have been looking for something to put in my sunroom to hide all the stains in my indoor/outdoor carpeting and this is P.E.R.F.E.C.T PERFECT!!! And it looks so very easy-maybe taking a bit of time-but still.....THANK YOU FOR THIS INCREDIBLE IDEA!

• Susan joyce

I’d like it for seat pads, if you could get colored rope???

• Mcgypsy9

You can definitely buy colored rope. That would be cute on the chairs.

• Kim Weaver

It you could die them to the exact color your want!

• Franne

Get yourself some Rit Dye and make them whatever color you want!

• Jewellmartin

Or you could do an hombre look by dipping the rug into the dye tub, leaving one end in for a short time and the middle for the recommended time, and the other end for the longest time. I would use a spray dirt repellent but that needs to be reapplied after each wash. But how beautiful the whole creation would be!

• Sandy

You can find colored rope, but its hard to find. Y

Another option is you cud spray paint the rope, Yourself. Loved it! I really want to try that out! I'd paint the rope. Make a few of them. Gifts! Why not...

• Michelle | lookwhat_i_found

Pretty easy to find coloured rope!

You can use dyes as well!!

• Linda Kinman

Approximately how many feet of cord did you use? In the pic the cord looks almost as big as your thumb. What size is the cord? Beautiful!

• Patti

I love it!

• Linda McCain Morris

did you put a backing on it? Was wondering how sturdy it was to pick up and move around.

• C Chandler

would it be possible to paint this to add color to it? I love the natural too, and your's is GORGEOUS!! but, have the grandkids room done in lighter to darker denims (used denim to go for girl or boy) and when I saw this, i thought if i could do a 'wash' of blue over it to look sort of like denim it would be fabulous for their room! THANKS!

• Mary Husak

I believe I would paint it before putting together .

• Debbie Froelich

Should also take dye well (before putting it together).

• Kimberlee Muessig Kossup

I would not wash that with out sewing some what ever color cotton thread around the outside of every circle. Even though it is hot glued very well you never know what the detergent will do to the glue and NEVER in hot water.

• Lia

You could dye the rope prior to putting together or you could get some of the spray type dye to give it color.

• Sharalen Lawhon

How do you clean it?

• Kristie Foreman

i would spray it with a 409 and hose it off letting it dry in the sun

• Kathy

I made some stick birdhouses with hot glue and when it rained they fell apart. I dont think hot glue stands up to water.

• Kimberlee Muessig Kossup

I just said I would see around each circle to try to avoid that before washing and never use hot water.

• Ann Stough

Can this be washed?

• Kimberlee Muessig Kossup

I love this so much and think I will be trying it with my own little touches.

• CasualHomeStyle

What a wonderful weekend project, I love yours!

For the ones who want to wash it, it can not be done, instead buy rope of color. I would be afraid of dye and it bleeding on top of the carpet , hardwood floors and or laminate, when one walks on it with wet shoes and or snow. Something to think about before you have a expensive problem to fix!