Stop PORCH PIRATES With This DIY Mailbox!

$150
1 Day

We use online shopping for almost EVERYTHING but porch pirates are putting a damper on this convenience. Even if you have a security system and catch the heinous act on camera, you more than likely never recover your package and have to file police reports, reorder the item, and wait for a replacement. Don't give thieves a chance with a Porch Pirate Proof Mailbox.

Affiliate links below (if they make it through the copy/paste)! Proceeds are donated to no-kill animal shelters and rescue organizations. Do your shopping through these links and help animal in need!

You'll need:

* A miter saw

Safety glasses

* A drill, bits for drilling pilot holes and screws

* Pencil

* Rust-Oleum spray paint

* Drop cloth 

* 34 - 3 inch screws

* 16 - 1 and a half inch screws

* 72 - 1 and a quarter inch screws 

* Two 8 inch T hinges - Half of the accompanying screws will be used but you'll also need 8 - three-quarter-inch screws. I added washers as well.

* Two 3 ½ inch hinges

* Two small 1 inch hinges

* One handle with accompanying screws 

* Four cabinet lid support hinges, two small machine screws that will fit through the hole of the hinge, and two small nuts

* An RFID lock and fob set

* A piece of plywood cut at 21 inches by 22 ¼ inches. 

* Depending on the thickness of your plywood, you'll also need 8 screws that'll drive in but not go through the other side.  

* For the 2x2s:

You'll need 4 - 40" long pieces and 8 - 21 and a half inches long pieces

* For the 1x4s:

You'll need

6 – 24 inch long pieces

4 - 25 and a quarter inch long pieces

4 - 26 inch long pieces

28 – 36 inch long pieces

2 - 28 1/8 inch long pieces

8 - 27 ¾ inch long pieces 

* I also cut one at 21 and a half inches long. Then I ripped this board so I'd have one piece at 1 5/8 inch wide and the other at 1 3/8 inches wide.  

Build a frame with the 2x2s. The 40" pieces will be used vertically at each corner and the 21 and a half inch pieces are screwed in horizontally at the top and four inches from the bottom. Drill a pilot hole to keep the wood from splitting and use the 3" screws to secure each piece.  

Assembled frame

Using the 24 inch long 1x4s, build the floor of the mailbox. Screw in at each end with the 1 and a half inch screws. Those ripped pieces will fit snuggly at either end so you don't have any gaps.

Next, build two of the sides. Lay out two of the 26 inch long 1x4s and then place 7 of the 36 inch long pieces across them. Ensure you lay each of these out upside down - whatever's facing the floor will be the outside of the mailbox. Center the 7 pieces so you have the same amount of 'extra' on each side. Use the 1 and a quarter inch screws to secure each end of the boards in place. 

For the last side and the door, lay out two of the 25 and a quarter inch long pieces the same way. As you place the seven 36 inch long pieces on top, ensure that you have no 'extra' on one of the sides. Use the 1 and a quarter inch screws to secure each end of the boards.  

Once the sides and door are assembled, lay the frame down on top of the first side. Line up the top of the frame with the top of your side and secure in place with 3 inch screws. I'm using three screws along the top as well as three along the bottom.  

Since my door will be opening from the right, I'm attaching the two sides with 'extra on both ends' to the right and back of the frame. The left side will be attached so the 'no extra' end sits flush on the frame. 

Next, build the top. Lay out the two 28 1/8 inch pieces and place the eight 27 ¾ inch pieces on top. Secure in place with the 1 and a quarter inch screws.

Paint the three sided mailbox, the door, the top, and the piece of plywood with the Rust-Oleum spray paint. I'm using their 2X Paint and Primer in Stone Gray. Since it's rated for outdoors, it'll give the wood some added protection. Paint both sides of everything and allow to dry.

Place the mailbox on its back and the door on top so the edge with 'no extra' is lined up with the 2x2. Place the hinge so the knuckle is on the inside and use the accompanying screws to secure the hinge to the side of the mailbox. Use the shorter ¾ inch screws and washers, to secure the hinge to the door.

Stand the mailbox up and place the top so there is no overhang on the back. There should be equal overhang on the sides. Drill pilot holes and screw in the hinges.  

Add the handle to the top front of the lid. Center and secure in place with screws.

Run a machine screw through the small holes at each end of the cabinet support hinge to make one long bracket. Secure tightly with a nut. Since gold was the only local color option, I'll be spray painting them to match the rest of the hardware.

The plywood piece will provide blockage when the mailbox lid is opened. To assemble, attach the 1 inch hinges to a 21 inch side of the plywood. Then flip over and secure your long brackets about 3 inches in from the other end.  

Place the plywood inside your mailbox and screw the hinges into the underside of the front 2x2 frame. Your plywood should be able to move up and down inside the mailbox but should not be able to move out of the top.  

Attach the other end of your long brackets to the lid of the mailbox, about 10 ½ inches in from the front edge.  

Finally, install the RFID lock according to the manufacturer's directions.  

I love that I don't have to put a hole in the door to secure the lock. And no fiddling with a key either. Simply swipe the fob and the door opens.

No more stolen packages!

OnTheFly...DIY

• Jo Ellen

How does this allow a delivery person to enter the box, but not a 'poacher'?

• Allison Velez

Maybe they leave the door open and then the delivery person locks? I often have 2 deliveries from different carriers too.

• Collier Austin

Once a package is placed in the top and the top is closed, the package drops below the plywood making it inaccessible until the front door is unlocked. Look closely at the next to last picture. My mailbox is made the same way.

• Mary Boger

This is neat. Seems to work on the same principle as our library book return drop box.

Tfs!

• Mikkigirl

Watch the video 😊

• Cynthia Dwyer Guzzardo

Yes it makes it harder for them to know you've gotten a package Ill give you that but, You have 2 Doors and 1 lock??? How does this work to deter someone from stealing your package. We also were going to make a box for our porch area but a bit longer and using a padlock so the delivery man can lock the box once he/she has put the package inside. Interested to know how yours works. Thank you :)

• Megan Nixon

Package drops down below the plywood once top is closed. Like at the post office when you use their drop box to drop off a package after hours. Can only access it from the front in this case when it gets unlocked.

• Mikkigirl

Watch the video 😊

• Julie Porter

She set it up like a mailbox drop box, once you put in a package and shut the lid, an interior lid makes it impossible to take the package out without destroying the entire box.

• Susan Tietjen

See the answers to the above question.

• Cynthia

What prevents the thief from picking up the whole box and taking it? I think you need to bolt it down too!

• Genie

What keeps someone from picking up this box and taking it with packages inside ?

• OnTheFly...DIY

It’s almost 100 pounds

• Susan

They can take atm machines, they weigh ?? Lbs

• Vicki Bushert

Also unless the person sees packages being delivered they don't know for a sure a package is inside. And most porch pirates drive around looking for packages/cardboard boxes. This would effectively hide them without letting anyone know if the box is empty or not

• Lynda

great idea but I certainly wouldn’t put a great big “PACKAGES” sign on it. Inform your delivery people or put a small sign on the lid is probably a better idea.

• Amy Betz

It's on there for the purpose of showing what is is in the DIY..... You can put anything you want, last name, house number, etc

• Swinnen Lisette

I don't think they will snatch the whole box : to obvious.. and.. you could screw it to a big pole in the ground or to your wall. I don't see people loose time to figure out how it is screwed and unscrew it or put the whole box + pole in their car. They just want "in and out" as soon as possible. They could put a bar on the door and break it open, I guess. Anyhow it is better than leave your packages in the open on your porch. (and in the rain)

It is very good idea.

• TJ

More than likely, just the weight of the container may be simply too heavy the lift up! Especially when it may be full of packages/boxes, only to add additional weight.

on the other hand, you can add a 4” thick concrete pad, slightly larger than the container. Attach to the four corners angle brackets, using cement screws into pre-drilled holes into the concrete pad.

And when attaching king the angle bracket to the wooden corner posts, attach the bracket, using nuts, bolts w/hex-icon heads and fender & lock washers.

A thief would have to be needing his or her Craftmans tools in order to take the container...and plan to do it, in the middle of the night!

They may get away with an empty container at that time? But more than likely, put the container in front of their own home!

Now they’ll have to figure out, how to remove the padlock on the front door?

I hope this, relatively lengthy, explanation answers your question?

• Michele

The thief probably wouldn't bother with it because they wouldn't know if there were packages in it or not. Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

• Mj

Make longer legs, and place box legs into the wet cement pad. permanent

• Sharon Epley Davis

Most package thiefs do a quick take and run. It would take 2 people to lift and carry and would take too much time. Would run the risk of someone seeing them.

• Sandrea

If this keeps the thief out, how does the mailman or delivery person get into it to put the package?

• OnTheFly...DIY

Watch the video - it shows how the mailbox works :)

• Vicki Bushert

The postman puts the package on the inner shelf which is hinged to the inside front, as the top lid is closed the inner shelf tips in letting the package slide into the bottom chamber. (But when open it's not tipped - that's the secret to thisworking) Kind of like the usps blue boxes but allowing larger packages to be inserted

• Anne Roberts

Great idea! Lots of people in my area are complaining every day about stolen packages. I would do this project. Thank you 😁

• TJ

Obviously, you must have not watched the video? It demonstrates exactly how the USPS Letter Carrier or a Drlivety Person takes a package/box and lifts open the TOP LID by the handle.

Then places the delivery item upon the inside shelf, towards the back.

When they lower the lid, the shelf drops down diagonally, allowing for the item to fall down into the lower storage area.

It’s the responsibility of the household to unlock and open the front door of the “Dropbox” to retrieve their delivered items each day.

A thief simply cannot access the items though the top compartment, do to the way it is made.

May I suggest that you go back to see the video demonstration, just in order to see for yourself, how it works!

• Ginny

I have the same question as another person?? What is going to keep some string guys from lifting up the mailbox & hauling it away (especially if the bad crooks see the mailman placing packages in that lockbox)?

Im Thinking placing that lockbox in a less conspicuous location ( like the side of the house) & Informing your mailman about the new location!

• Candy cane

We have different mailmen all the time.

• Debi

seems to me, for all that you should at least secure to porch or to some type of permanent structure to prevent someone from stealing your beaut. box!

• Steven Carpenter

Just attach it to the porch floor joists with lag bolts on the inside.

• Cyndi Lange

How do you keep the whole box from being stolen?

• Barbara Riccio

I was just thinking.... Oh, now they have two gifts to themselves.... the package and the wooden box! Nice.

• Bebe

Very cute idea!

• Barbara Riccio

Where can I get the heels that she's spray painting in?

• Jo

Catty

• HollyS

Try getting a sense of humor.

• Debbie

Exactly!!! This pic with the hilarious

• Cheryl Pfirrman

• Sandra Ross Warren

I made something similar to this but it is attached to the house (on my porch) and has a cute little door on the inside of the house that looks like a miniature of my front door. I considered a door on the outside but I didn't want exposed hinges that could be accessed and easily removed.

• Cubfan

If it has a lock how does the delivery person open it? If all you do is "swipe" what's keeping someone else from doing that?

• Barb

You might want to watch the video. The person delivering the package simply opens the top of the box, places the package inside and closes the lid. The package drops into the box and is secure there until the owner opens the door with the lock on it.

• Oma

There is a lock, just not a "key" lock. Like the fob to newer vehicles.

• Wowhavs

How does the delivery person get the package INTO the box?

• Carol Day

What is keeping someone from stealing the whole box?

• Bridget Morgia Straight

My first thought.

• Peabers

You could place heavy weights in it. Here in atlanta they would totally steal the whole box. But I’m thinking weight it down. Maybe even spike it into the ground to make it take longer. Depending on your neighborhood, top it off w coverage w a little ring doorbell security system. Haha. As many packages as I get, it’s worth all of that trouble!

• Berniece Cronquist

I would think the size and bulk of the box would deter a thief. It wouldn’t be a quick swipe like a package is. Plus you’d have to wrangle it into your car. I would probably anchor it somehow just to be safe.

• Mercedes

Actually, if you add a cement pad around the legs it would deter anyone from picking it up. Rest assured this is a great idea and delivery people will appreciate this!

• Debi

you can weight it down with patio block or bricks, just make it a bit taller.

• Kathy Bitzan

Or chaining it to the wall. Or actually attaching it to the house would be easy.

• Debbie Fulton

I would think if you made the legs longer, dug post holes,and set legs in holes,pour concrete. That ought to do it!

• OnTheFly...DIY

It’s almost 100 pounds

• Sherry

100 lbs won't stop most people. I am a 56 yr old female and lifting 100 lbs is not a problem

• Christine Pardo

How is it working out? How did you train the delivery guys to put the package in box? I can't even get them to ring the doorbell.

• OnTheFly...DIY

Since the package mailbox is right next to my porch, the main person can’t miss it. I started by putting a sign on the mailbox that said to ‘Thank you for bringing my mail every day! Please PLEASE use the package mailbox for packages because of the porch pirates’. My mail person has been good about putting the packages in. For the once-in-awhile times I know there will be several packages coming, I like to leave the mail person a Starbucks gift card for their troubles. :)

• Sandys SYCmail

I love this idea! But I have a question ... In my neighborhood, we have a LOT of kids running around outside all the time - so I was just wondering: if a child were to climb in the box, would they be able to get out easily, or would be get locked inside? You won't believe what all these kids get into!

• Maryann Mockler

With the size of the cntainer being so small., and the hinges they could probably not get inside. They would only brake your neighbor's stuff.

• Lindy

PURE GENIUS!

• Judy

what keeps people from opening it since there is no lock and it says “packages”

• Pat Anderson Rixie

I was wondering the same thing!!!

• Karen Coakley Long

She made a box like the library. The plywood under the lid pivots and you put the package in and then the plywood lifts back up. No one can put their hand in, move the plywood and pull up the box. The plywood will be in the way. The only way to get it is through the locked door...like at the library or post office outdoor drop bins.

• Jerri

It looks like it has a trap door that the packages fall under so when you open the top the packages are underneath the trap door and can only be removed from the front with a lock in place. Kind of like the mailboxes at the post office when you open it up to put in a package it falls down and can't be removed from the top. Just my guess.

• Me1302

What’s stopping them from grabbing the whole box?

• Hul32908346

That's my question. You'll have to secure it to the ground someway, somehow. When those thieves see that box, their going to want that for themselves. They will steal it!!

• Larry Sorensen

Yep, my thought too. Need to secure it somehow to prevent it from being grabbed, although the size of it would be a bit heavy to lift and run with it.

• Lindsey

Why not just buy a pre-made cabinet and put a lock on it? Then mark it "garbage" or something other than "packages". Let your mailman, UPS, and FedEx know what it's for. That would take a lot less time and effort. Or put it next to your door with a note above "Put packages inside". Attach a motion sensor light or alarm, so if anyone messes with it, you'll know. Or fasten it into concrete with bolts. Lots of ideas on how to make it "steal proof".

• As more people make these, that will become an issue. Have already see theives come "disguised" as delivery people and abscond with the entire container. I would sink it in some concrete with rebar. Just depends on how rampant porch pirates are in your area. I don't shop on line and anything that gets delivered to me is sent to my work address. Great for people that don't have that option.

• OnTheFly...DIY

It’s almost 100 pounds.

• Me1302

Lol. That’ll help. It’s pretty cute tho !!

• Cheryl Wirey

Nice idea, BUT what is keeping the porch pirates from just taking the whole box ? Can it be secured in ground some how ??

• Jae FriendsNfamily

Anchor it by cementing it or anchor it with a really heavy huge planter. Wonder if anyone wants to walk away with a huge planter attached to the giant box LoL!

• Bijoux

I had the same question...many would take the whole thing and break it open. Or even break it open right there, if they think you won't hear or see.

By putting a sign on it that says "packages", you are inviting thieves. Just give the carriers notice.

Also really chuckled seeing you in heels painting the box..oh sure every women does that!!!

Thanks for sharing a good idea.

• George

What's the reasoning behind a hinged top AND a front door on the box???

• Barbara

If you pick up the top it seals the flap. You cannot retrieve package when top lifted.

• SCOTCH TAPE

IF IHAD SOMEONE TODO THE WORK I THINK IT IS AN EXCELLANT IDEA

THE LOCK GREAT WONDERFUL. START A GOOD BUSINESS MAKING THEM

AND SELLING THEM. SUPER. I WISH I HAD SOMEONE TO DO IT

ALSO,, WHERE DO YOU BUY THAT LOCK??? EXPENSIVE??

THAT WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT IDEA FOR OTHER THINGS IN HOUSE

I LIVE IN A NEIGHBORHOOD OF YOUNGER PEOPLE NOW AND THEY

LOVE TO OUT SMART AND STEAL SO EXCELLENT IN HOUSE ALSO

IF YOU HAVE A BREAKIN REMEMBER ALWAYS KEEP AN EYE ON

ANY REPAIRMAN. THEY ALWAYS SEEMS TO HAVE A PLAN TO STEAL.

THANKS

• Jilletta Jarvis

This is a great idea! Stylish enough to just look great and will protect packages from weather as well!

• Sage

couldn't they just take the box? It is super cute and waiting to be stolen - Just saying, not hating

• Cjpalmisano

If they're really really determined I suppose, but during the day not likely. It'd be too obvious. I have a much smaller (and lighter) plastic grey bin on my porch which I worried about for the same reason: however, no problems every since putting it there. I like this a lot more, though b/c it's heavier and far more attractive.

• Cjpalmisano

...oh, and it'll take the larger packages my bin won't hold.

• Suzanne Novoselac

Maybe it could be anchored to the porch, or have a loud alarm/siren go off if it's lifted? The alarm thing might not work because people ignore car alarms all the time. How about video surveillance? It's terrible that we have to think of these things, though.

• Betty Tuffner

So if the package is too big (post office carriers can take up to 70#) where does it go? Better give your regular carrier and their sub the combo or a spare key.

• Rhonda Stinnett

Old school here. Can you explain how package service has access but not others?

• DIYGal

after placing the package inside it drops down after the lid is closed and the next time anyone opens the lid the package is under the "trap door" and ready for the next item. I do wonder why someone couldn't just pick up the whole container and take it with them.

• Brina Dee

It only works for small packages. They open the top and lay the package on the plywood at the top and then when it closes that piece of plywood drops down and the packages slides off into the box. We still need a solution for our big packages.

• None

Yeah I wondered too. I mean a thief will steal so why not steal the container too.

• Lwilliams

In most cases, it's too big and bulky to be carted off in broad daylight. You could secure it to the house or a cement pad or put bricks in the bottom with a cushion on top to prevent breakage of the package when it slips down. For anything big, I would track the package to have someone there for it.

• Brina Dee

What if it was a little deeper and the lid was in 2 pieces so you could split the plywood inside into 2 pieces and then when the package drops there is more room. That way we can use it for larger boxes

• J

Wouldn't thieves be able to just steal the whole mailbox if it is not secured to the ground or some permanent structure?

• Aretha

thats what i was thinking until i saw the heels. maybe this isnt really a serious project. its just a ploy to show off the heels. i have to go back and re-read without looking at the photos cause it was distracting.

• Susan N

The heels got me, too. I don't wear any of mine when I work on home projects so maybe that's why mine never turn out as perfectly as this one does. Only kidding. Clever idea and if it really works and is secured to the ground, I'd like one...

• Leesa

People who are porch pirates are looking to grab things quickly. They are usually walking or on a bike. They would not have the ability to carry a large box like the on built without being seen by someone.

They want to get away from the scene quickly. So they take medium or small packages they can run or ride a bike with in their hand.

• Jane Doe

Night time is a great time to pick up this box and load into a van or pick up.

• James Lant Sr.

Talking from experience¿ just kidding

• Mar

Jane Doe; that's exactly what i was thinking that anyone at night could load it quickly in a pick up if it's not cemented down?

• Ellis

You'd better anchor that box to the ground--maybe attach it to posts anchored in cement. Porch pirates around here will just take the box and throw it in the back of their truck. And they'll know the packages are in there because they follow the package delivery trucks, then come back and steal the packages.

• AllisonW

Great idea! and I agree that putting weights in the bottom would be a good way to discourage the average thief. I'm not sure how much of a threat a night thief would be assuming you come home at the end of the day and collect your packages [you might loose your box though...depends on the thief, I guess]. One other issue is the placement of the box. Even if it is weighted down, if you put it on a shady porch or a porch railing that is solid, a determined thief could hide behind it and just break into the box. Just can't under estimated a determined thief.

• Wendy Baldwin

It looks like a great idea! How many packages will fit in there?

• She12213369

Brilliant idea, how about putting a barbell weight in the bottom, it would make it too difficult to lift.  Besides, it would make a use of barbell weights that are collecting dust.

• Dpbeee2

It looks professionally made. Did you really use over 120 screws?

• Amarillolesa

She probably came close to that since each board is screwed on instead of nailed making it more difficult to tear it apart. Screws are much harder to pry out than nails.

• Nancy Popp

If you use a RFID to open it, how does the delivery person open it to put the packages in?

• Bill

Delivery opens top, to retrieve your package you open the front.

• MMM

I wondered the same thing. I had to reread and look at the picture a few times. I'm not sure but I think there is a piece of plywood that works as a trap door. I could be wrong though.

Top is opened like a chest or trunk, package is placed on plywood that is a few inches (?) below the top level of the mailbox. The top lid is closed and the long hinges allow the plywood shelf to open into the box and the package drops below. When someone opens the top of the box, the plywood shelf comes back up as a surface to put a package on.

You open the body of the box with the RFID chip. But I could be totally wrong on this and have over complicated it to no end.

I do wonder how this works with taller packages, smaller ones I get, but if it's over a certain height will the mechanism work? Or if you get multiple packages and they stack up will it not allow the mechanism to work...

• Becky Pettenati

Not sure why the thief can't open this and steal the item?

• Dawn Knapp

It's locked and a thief would not want to spend that much time on your porch trying to figure it out. Watch the video.

• Rosy

This is really nice why haven't you anchored it down so it is secure. Living in Phoenix the whole container would be stolen. Some people here have installed package containers and the delivery drivers won't use them. Sure hope this helps porch pirates are everywhere.

• Amarillolesa

I think MMM is correct and if you look at the next to the last picture you can see the metal pieces that pull the “shelf”up and that’s where the packages are placed. When the top door is closed those metal pieces push the “shelf” down and the pkgs. slide to the bottom. The next person who opens it sees the empty “shelf”.

• Cathryn Trifeletti

How do you prevent ppl from lifting up the mailbox lid and taking the item out just like the mailman put it in?

• NanaJoy

Where is the video of this project. Hoping it will help me understand how this thing works and doesn’t allow thieves to break into this.

• OnTheFly...DIY

It’s at the very top of the project page, above the title.

• Valerie Fanning

Thank you! I wanted to ask the same thing but get annoyed when others ask obvious questions so didn't want to be one of those...lol

• Sharon Hager

A the beginning of this tutorial

• Heather Gibson-Broyles

How do you get the bigger packages out with the plywood blocker in the way?

• Teresa

Couldn't someone just cut the straps letting the lid fall down, then just lift the packages out?

• Cookie

How does the delivery person get into the box to leave the package?

• Amy Lundquist

My question exactly!?!

• Sonia Marr

They open the top lid, place it on the shelf that rises when the top lid opens, and the package drops to the bottom when the top lid closes. It shows it at the very beginning of the video.

• Lydia Donato-Ayala

Can’t the thieves just pick up the box and carry it away with the packages ?

• Rubye K

I think they could, I would put longer legs on it and cement them in the ground

• Shirley Ujest

That was my very first thought! All they do is pick it up!

• Omi Ross

You can Anchor the box in the yard.

• Carol

Who works in heals

• Bonita

What is going to stop them from using a hammer or screw driver or take the box

• SuZychlinski

Question I'd you need a key fob to open it how do the delivery people open it to put in the packages?

• Abigail

They place the package in the top, it’s in the video

• LeoCarol

Boy oh boy,,,she gave y’all something to talk about with those high heels 👠 she’s wearing!!

What does it matter what she wears?? 🤪😜🙄

• Estella

But what will keep the thief from taking the whole box? Its not secured to anything. But it is a beautiful box and a great idea.

• Miriam

Totally confused. Don't see how it deterres anyone? Don't understand how it works. No pictures showing the security feature.

• Gina

I was thinking that too. Maybe concrete the base in and put a lock on the top?

• Sarge

I wondered the same thing so i reread her post...she has an RFID lock installed on it that works with a key fob.

• Kelli

Are there instructions to place package inside and close the lid? One lid is closed; then do you use the fab to open the door?

• Suzanne

Does the mail carrier and very other delivery person have a fob to open your box to put the package in. And , if you leave it open and it locks after a package is placed inside, what if there is another delivery that day? How does the second delivery person insert his package?

• Lisa Sinclair

If I'm understanding the concept correctly. When you open the top, then place the package on the plywood. When you close the lid, the package slides off the plywood , to the bottom of the "mailbox " . Then if the next person opens the lid, all they are is the plywood again. Only the homeowners need the fob.

• Jackie

If you look at the video it works like an old fashioned mailbox you drop it in and then it falls into the box when you close it

• Joe Jones

It’ll still only hold one maybe two packages of today’s boxes. If you get Hellofresh or anything of the sort delivered those boxes are 13-15” tall

• Mike

I would some how secure the box some crooks are evil and strong enough to take the box to get to its contents later

• Amanda

It's better than nothing

• Tawnya L Gary Ruppel

Yes, you could sink it’s legs into a little concrete slab

• Donna

Not a question just an observation.

The legs that go into the ground are so short, it can be pulled up and stolen easily.

My suggestion is to cement the legs into the ground.

just a thought.

• Carol

Actually, you can erect another “smaller” house next to your house and, wait, never mind......

• Jodi

That's not likely going to happen. It could, but chances of that are very slim.

• Joe Jones

Jodi you think it’s likely to not happen? A set of thieves just stole an entire safe from a business in St. Louis not even a month ago. To think a crook will take a box made of wood that advertises PACKAGES right on the front of it isn’t that far fetched. These idiot steal entire ATMs and so I’m positive a wooden box isn’t a big deal to them

• Anna

I'm with Miriam I don't know exactly how this works either!

• Brenda Carson

it looks like when you open the top there is a board inside that only flips down so your package only goes down the board flips back up so the only way to get anything out is to open the bottom if you look at the top picture it kinda shows the piece inside..at least this is what km getting out of it

• Jade

Yes I'm thinking the same thing.

• Joannie

Way to go! This is cool. I’ll try this.

• Joe Jones

Did you build this in those blue 6” heels or just posing for pictures?

• Michele Marie

Lol. I wondered the same

• Shelly

Lol. No way I would have wanted spray paint on my heels, especially when they are that cute!

• Sylvia

😆 that is what I was going to ask

• Sylvia

I mean the heels, did she really build it with those heels on?

• Kathleen Church

How does that keep thieves out of the box? Is there a lock on it? Could they not just reach in the the box and take the package?

• Marianne

It contains an inner trap door drop panel that you cannot open again from the top. You can only retrieve the package from the front locked door, or, ok, with a chain saw.

• Mem

Good luck getting Fed Ex, UPS, and USPS to insert the packages. I’ve had signs up for years for them to open my gate window door to insert packages and even showed them how to access it and NO ONE DOES IT! So good luck with this

• RJ Hennessey

The USPS will deliver this way. FedEx and UPS always look for a porch.

• Joan Price DiBenedetto

Do you mean grabbing?

• Virginia Long

That is such a good idea !!

Any advice about people gambling potted flowers and everything else that is left outside thank you in advance

• Melly

👍🏼Great idea. Was wondering if one large box goes in first will it hinder others from getting in? That slide on the inside won’t let packages in if big box under it..? Or is pretty deep.

• Doyle

Do I have to wear high heels when building? haha

• Curtain Lady Design

🙋🏼‍♀️ How does the delivery person open the box if it’s locked? I might have missed that part. And I don’t know what an RFID lock is either. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Patricia

I would like to know also since I have no idea what is a RFID.

• Tonya Bankston-Body

My thoughts as well.

• Chesley

Looks like it has a drop shelf! How cool! Like at the post office. Open lid, package on shelf, close lid and the package drops down. Perfection!

• Divababiexoxo

Thank you Chesley for explaining that. That is an awesome idea! A drop shelf...brilliant! The builder is so smart. I wish there was a way to make a small one to attach to my wall outside my apt

• Teresa Lawson

What keeps them from taking the hole thing

• Schatzie

Screw it to wall on your porch from the inside of the box.

• Kim

You could also screw it to a wooden post that is concrete into the ground from the inside of the box if you can't screw it to the wall because your box is on the ground.

• Lisa

The appearance alone will stop them, moving on to a easy target. One thats fast, no having to figure out what the deal is.

• Noreen Schaan

That's what I thought too🤷‍♀️

• Vickie

Lol

• Anthony

what if the package your expecting is larger than that container?

• Joan

i somehow dont understand how this thing works???

• Divababiexoxo

a lady Chesley explains how it works just go up a bit in the comments 🔝

• Victoria

It's like the old street blue post office mail drop off boxes. You open the top door put the package in then close the top door. The package drops into the box and the second or inside door pops back up in place. You can't get your your hand past the inside door. In order to take the package out you use the Fab for lock and you can get the package. I'd consider weighing the box down. I think most thieves would not like to mess with it. It would take too much time. They would rather snatch and run.

• Deanna Perata

I wonder, as someone also mentioned...what prevents someone from taking the whole box???

• OnTheFly...DIY

It’s almost 100 pounds

• Carol Cole

It is probably tooooo heavy.

• SooUu

I think you would need to cement it into the ground

• SooUu

I think you would have to cement it into the ground

• Ismael

Build a small concrete base on the ground and If you bolt the legs to the floor, it will even be more secure.

• Jorja Love

Hahaha. I was thinking the same thing.

• Kim Dunlap Gordon

Same here but I know several people that can pick up 100 lbs easily, LOL! It would def have to be in cement, LOL!

• Rosalind Kohut

How does the delivery person get in, or is it left open with instructions to close it up tight after delivery?

• OnTheFly...DIY

Watch the tutorial video... it explains everything :)

• NeCe

The package is placed in the top and slides to the bottom when the lid is closed

• Jorja Love

Why not let the dog stand guard? He looks like he can handle anything.

• Sharon Roscher

What an amazing storage locker. Great job. But (isn't there always a "but"?) did you check with your local postal office? They're very picky about what/where they'll deliver to. We bought & installed a large porch bench for this very purpose but the Post Master said that because it's not a "conventional/approved receptical", they would not put packages inside the bench. All the other deliver personnel (Amazon, UPS, FedEx, etc.) absolutely loved this approach but USPS said absolutely NO and would just leave any packages on the porch (for all to steal). Guess they don't mind addressing all the thefts and paperwork! None of the other packages put inside the bench have ever been stolen!

Oh, we also had to put it up on blocks because the Post Master said that the Postal Carriers "couldn't bend over to place any mail into an approved mailbox"! Even with it up on blocks, they still weren't allowed to put packages in it!

• Mark D. Mitchell

That sounds about right.

They don't even have to pick up your letters

• Chrystal S. Green

Did you speak with the officials or your letter carrier? I live in a downtown neighborhood (and only 5 blocks from the county jail!) but made a point of introducing myself to my regular letter carrier, Don, and his fill-in, Mary-Ann. After a string of mail thefts in our area, I asked them if they'd be able to secure packages for me. Although Mary-Ann doesn't utilize my 'Yard Cabinet' (an old kitchen cabinet piece I found at a yard sale and modified), all that Don asked was for us to secure it next to the mailbox so he wouldn't have to transverse our rickety front steps. We also signed up for the usps delivery notification S where an email is sent daily with scanned images of our expected items. On Monday, when Don is off, I go online and request my package to be held for pick up or delivered another day. So far, so good.

Hope that helps someone!

• Sharon Roscher

Yes, and every single carrier but one loves the simplicity and convenience of delivering packages (and even those uninvited magazines) to the inside of the bench. The one that refused is the one that caused all this ruckus and enforcement of the "rules" by the Post Master.

• Suzanne

Is the box secured to your porch? Because they can just pick up the box with help if need be. If I were you I'd secure it to something solid and heavy.

• Kathy Parker

So how do the delivery personal get in and not a thief? I understand it’s locked ... but how do they access it?

• Bonnie Jean Ann Wilson

When you lift lid it lifts a trap door. When you close the lid the trap door opens allowing the package to fall down into the bottom. Where you can then unlock the door and get it.

• Patty Sumner

Good question, I was wondering the same thing

• Chrystal S. Green

Bonnie, that's brilliant! I have a similar cabinet sans trap door. I see modications in my near future!

• Jennifer Morgan

But cant they get into the bottom of it when they lift the lid as if placing a new delivery in there? 1 thief holds lid open other reaches in?

I mean it's a GENIUS idea and I love it.

I was very confused by directions as I'm not a experienced DIYer. A video would definitely help if you have one of the process of how it works. Thank you for the idea.