Harry Potter Brick Wall Tutorial

$20

Learn how to paint a Harry Potter brick wall mural on your door. Hop on the Hogwarts Express and make your way through platform 9 3/4 with this Harry Potter brick wall DIY tutorial. Learn how to paint it yourself with cheap supplies.

harry potter brick wall tutorial

Start by painting a very quick coat of brown paint on the door. This will be the color of the grout and you will be painting the bricks right over it so don’t worry about making it perfect. Just paint it fast and let it dry.

harry potter brick wall tutorial

I used a piece of green floral oasis from the dollar store covered in a plastic bag to make the brick stamp. You could also use a sponge.

harry potter brick wall tutorial
  • Squeeze the three colors (red, light and dark brown) into a paint tray and swirl them around a little bit and then dip your sponge into it.
  • Stamp it onto door in a brick pattern staggering it as you go and leaving about a half inch between the bricks for the grout to show through.
  • While the paint is still wet use a crumpled up bag and press it onto some of the bricks to lift some of the paint off and add texture.
  • Dab more of the individual colors onto the bricks to even them out and fill in any gaps the brick stamp may have missed.
harry potter brick wall tutorial

The bricks might still be looking a bit flat at this point. To help make them look more lifelike you need to add some highlights and shading.

Decide where the imaginary light is coming from and shining on your bricks. Add some highlights to those areas and shadows on the opposite spots.

The bottom left of each of my bricks is a little darker and I added a little shadow to the underside of each brick.

Don’t worry about making it look perfect. It’s supposed to be an old brick wall so the more rustic, the better.

harry potter brick wall tutorial

After the paint dries you can add a Hogwarts Express and Platform 9 3/4 signs.

I used vinyl letters from the dollar store and stuck them to a scrap piece of wood to make the Hogwarts Express Sign

The 9 3/4 was made by free hand drawing the numbers onto a wood plaque with a Sharpie marker.

I painted the trim around the door black to make it stand out.

Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Marian Anderson Elkins

Would this work to cover an unsightly back splash?

• Divababiexoxo
      31 minutes ago

That door looks great! I may have to do something like this on my daughter's door when she gets her own place. She loves Harry Potter. And as for the backsplash idea...You guys gave me a great idea. I hate my kitchen backsplash and I love the look of brick so I'm thinking I may try this, so thanks for the idea

• Michele Skipper

I did something similar in my hallway. I bought a gray paint that ended up being too dark and went over it with white bricks. The family loves it and now my son wants his entire bedroom done like this. What have I started? Lol