How I Make DIY Succulent Soil... and You Can, Too!

$25

Succulents are a guilty pleasure of mine. Once I start buying them, I can’t seem to stop myself. I made the rounds from Home Depot to Walmart and finally Lowe’s. I bought a few at each store. I felt like all seemed to be similar in price and quality. Then I went looking for pots. I had trouble finding some that expressed my personality. I wanted owl flower pots. I finally found them on Amazon and when I hit add to cart, up popped "frequently bought together", 5 succulents. Whaaat! Amazon ships live succulent plants? Yes! They ended up being my favorite succulents. You can see them in this tutorial. So, after I had so many succulents to replant, I decided to try my hand at mixing my own succulent soil.

Here are my supplies for reporting my succulents. Coarse builder sand, perlite and potting soil. You will also want some gravel or decorative rocks as a top coat. Not a requirement, but I do like how it looks. I bought pea gravel, white marble chips and black sand. I bought some large bags of gravel because I knew the extra could be used around my yard. I have to say the white marble chips were my favorite topper. Such a pretty contrast to the succulents.

Here is my recipe. 3 parts potting soil, 2 parts coarse sand and 1 part perlite.

I bought succulents from all over. These were from Amazon. They arrived in perfect condition.

Ok, I loved them already but this note telling me the great lengths they go to to make sure everything gets to the location in the best possible condition.... wow! And Plants for Pets, too.

I am in love with these owl flower pots. So cute! They ended up being too small for this project but rest assured using them is in my future.

I used a cement mixing tub from Home Depot to mix the potting soil, sand and perlite.

Next, I chose a flower pot to put in the soil. Even though you see the bottom of the pot now, you won’t in the end.

Next you arrange you succulents to your liking. Since I was trying for a “pot in a pot” look. My flower pot was a vase and then I tried to arrange my succulents to look like a bouquet.

I added the bright yellow topped succulent for some interest.

I continued to add my succulents, moving them back and forth in the soil.

When all your succulents have been planted then you can add decorative rock, gravel or sand. I am adding white marble chips and I thought they were stunning.

I was really pleased with how it turned out.

I have them displayed by my front door. They are a nice change of pace. I am hopeful that their desire for less watering 💦 and my habit of forgetting to water my plants will be a perfect match. I once saw a meme that said, “I just wanted to let you know if you ever need to have a plant killed, I the person for that job.” Yes, that would be me.

Has anyone else seen the “succipotinapot” challenge? There are some very creative people out there using teapots and tea cups and showcasing so many other great ideas. What is your favorite one?

I am really tempted to switch the aloe Vera looking one and the yellow one but I am not sure that the marble chips will look as nice as they do now. So my advice is this, take a good moment before you put on your last layer of gravel. Changes are easy up to that point.

Ok... Spoiler alert... this is a long video by a newbie to doing videos. I wish I had changed the camera view when I was planting the succulents, so if you want me to redo the planting portion of the Video, just comment. If I get a lot of comments, I’ll redo it. Also, when I talk about propagating succulents, I said, "let it heal for 3 to 5 days..." I read in another tutorial, to let it heal for at least week and don’t water until it has roots.

The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter

• Deborah

I think they’d be fine!

• Shirley

Stacie, that succulent with the yellow top is a grafted cactus. All cactus are succulents, yes, but they are a bit different from the others, usually less tolerant of water, and the grafted ones may be more tender to excess heat. I'm sure you are aware that not all succulents, and few cacti, are winter hardy.