Pamela Hallissey
Pamela Hallissey
  • Naperville, IL

DIY Chalk Painted Herb Planters

$5

A twist on basic terra cotta planters, chalk paint and stamp letters dress them up to give them a farmhouse look.

diy chalk painted herb planters

diy chalk painted herb planters

First seal the inside AND outside of the planter. The sealer acts as a barrier. Make sure it’s completely dry before going to the next step. 

diy chalk painted herb planters

I like to use a dark color for my base coat, either a spray paint or an acrylic paint, then paint over that with a lighter chalk paint so when I sand, the darker color comes through. The base color DOESN’T have to cover the whole surface since you won’t see most of it when you paint over it.

diy chalk painted herb planters

Once the base coat is dry, use a sponge brush to paint the chalk paint over it. This will prevent brush marks from showing. I put my hand through the pot and stuck my finger through the hole. Painting the pot in the direction of side to side, opposed to top to bottom, also makes for a smoother finish.

diy chalk painted herb planters

Next use some sandpaper or a sanding sponge to rough up the edges. The black from underneath should show through. I try to hit the spots that would get roughed up naturally like the edges, and then add a few spots here and there on sides of the pots.

diy chalk painted herb planters

I found typewriter font stamps that really give these farmhouse inspired, chalk painted herb planters some character. I ended up tying a piece of string around the pot to give me a “line” for reference to keep the words in a straight.

diy chalk painted herb planters

To further protect these pots, especially if you plan to use them outside, you need to use a sealer. Apply a few coats of clear acrylic sealant to the outside of the pot. 

Give the pots 24-48 hours to completely dry before filling them.

Pamela Hallissey

• Suz

The white herb pots are very cute, but I really like the dark color you painted them first. What paint did you use and is it weather proof? Thank you.

• Pamela Hallissey

I used a black spray paint called "devine color by Valspar" in a silky satin finish. It says it's for interior and exterior use on wood, plastic, metal & glass.