DIY Chalk Painted Herb Planters

$5

A twist on basic terra cotta planters, chalk paint and stamp letters dress them up to give them a farmhouse look.

I love the modern farmhouse look because of it’s warmth and simplicity. My decor style has been going through a metamorphosis lately and I’m really drawn to textures and materials with more of a rustic feel. One way to bring in a rustic look is to use chalk paint.

Seal

First seal the inside AND outside of the planter. The sealer acts as a barrier. Make sure it’s completely dry before going to the next step. 

Base Color

I like to use a dark color for my base coat, either a spray paint or an acrylic paint, then paint over that with a lighter chalk paint so when I sand, the darker color comes through. The base color DOESN’T have to cover the whole surface since you won’t see most of it when you paint over it.

Paint

Once the base coat is dry, use a sponge brush to paint the chalk paint over it. This will prevent brush marks from showing. I put my hand through the pot and stuck my finger through the hole. Painting the pot in the direction of side to side, opposed to top to bottom, also makes for a smoother finish.

Distress

Next use some sandpaper or a sanding sponge to rough up the edges. The black from underneath should show through. I try to hit the spots that would get roughed up naturally like the edges, and then add a few spots here and there on sides of the pots.

Stamp

I found typewriter font stamps that really give these farmhouse inspired, chalk painted herb planters some character. I ended up tying a piece of string around the pot to give me a “line” for reference to keep the words in a straight.

To further protect these pots, especially if you plan to use them outside, you need to use a sealer. Apply a few coats of clear acrylic sealant to the outside of the pot. 

Give the pots 24-48 hours to completely dry before filling them.

You might also like...

My Mason Jar Wall Decor or my Vegetable Garden Markers

15 Perfectly Round Tables
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Pamela - DIY vibes