Bug Hotel

$0

I have been seeing these Bug Houses all over the place lately. They are readily available at almost any store, but considering what they’re for (no offense to all the insects out there), I felt they were a tad bit pricey. So, of course, I came up with a way to make our own for FREE!

bug hotel

All you need is an old birdhouse (I had a few lying around in the shed) and whatever supplies you can scrounge up from Mother Nature.

bug hotel

I pried the front of the birdhouses off with a mallet and screw driver. It was pretty simple. They were both held on with nails and wood glue, so just be careful. Slow and steady wins the race on this one for sure!

bug hotel

One front came off whole, the other broke. But, you don’t need this piece anymore, so it doesn’t really matter.

bug hotel

To make layering the “stuffing” easier and separate the space, we hot glued a few pieces of spare wood along the inside of the birdhouse. This step is totally optional.

bug hotel

This part is the most fun! We went out in the backyard, we went on a walk and we took a trip to the park to find all of our “stuffing” for the inside. Pine cones, thick fallen sticks, branches and anything else we considered “cool”.

bug hotel

When we got home we dumped out our treasures to see what we had.

bug hotel

We measured and cut (broke) the sticks to size and I drilled holes in the ends to give a place for the creepy crawly things to burrow into.

bug hotel

The final step was simply placing all of our supplies in the houses. We stuffed them full so there was no room for anything to shift or fall.

bug hotel

The plan is to add them around our Frog Pond. Hopefully the bugs enjoy their stay at our one-of-a-kind hotel!

bug hotel

Did you like this project? Let me know and follow along with me at Perfectly DeStressed!

Perfectly DeStressed

• Alexa

So....any 'takers'? How long has it been available and what have you learned?

• Wendy Jones

That is so sweet. AND u have a frog pond? You are soooo lucky.

So now you can make some little chairs and stuff to put around and a no diving sign. What are you going to name the hotel? LOL, this would be so fun to do with kids

• Annetta Clubb Craigen

I can’t see clearly but is there a small cup that is attached on the front side that is filled with some sort of feed?

• Val

Fantastic idea and it really looks great.

• Mrs. W.

Love this and may need to make a couple of them, to go next to the pricey one I purchased! Lol. Yours looks more natural, and I see you made it a family project. It's good to see children outside and creating. Thanks!