Bug Hotel

$0

I have been seeing these Bug Houses all over the place lately. They are readily available at almost any store, but considering what they’re for (no offense to all the insects out there), I felt they were a tad bit pricey. So, of course, I came up with a way to make our own for FREE!

All you need is an old birdhouse (I had a few lying around in the shed) and whatever supplies you can scrounge up from Mother Nature.

I pried the front of the birdhouses off with a mallet and screw driver. It was pretty simple. They were both held on with nails and wood glue, so just be careful. Slow and steady wins the race on this one for sure!

One front came off whole, the other broke. But, you don’t need this piece anymore, so it doesn’t really matter.

To make layering the “stuffing” easier and separate the space, we hot glued a few pieces of spare wood along the inside of the birdhouse. This step is totally optional.

This part is the most fun! We went out in the backyard, we went on a walk and we took a trip to the park to find all of our “stuffing” for the inside. Pine cones, thick fallen sticks, branches and anything else we considered “cool”.

When we got home we dumped out our treasures to see what we had.

We measured and cut (broke) the sticks to size and I drilled holes in the ends to give a place for the creepy crawly things to burrow into.

The final step was simply placing all of our supplies in the houses. We stuffed them full so there was no room for anything to shift or fall.

The plan is to add them around our Frog Pond. Hopefully the bugs enjoy their stay at our one-of-a-kind hotel!

Did you like this project? Let me know and follow along with me at Perfectly DeStressed!

Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Perfectly DeStressed

• Alexa

So....any 'takers'? How long has it been available and what have you learned?

• Wendy Jones

That is so sweet. AND u have a frog pond? You are soooo lucky.

So now you can make some little chairs and stuff to put around and a no diving sign. What are you going to name the hotel? LOL, this would be so fun to do with kids

• Annetta Clubb Craigen

I can’t see clearly but is there a small cup that is attached on the front side that is filled with some sort of feed?

• Mrs. W.

Love this and may need to make a couple of them, to go next to the pricey one I purchased! Lol. Yours looks more natural, and I see you made it a family project. It's good to see children outside and creating. Thanks!

• Jacquelyn Perry

I had to laugh at Bug Hotel. Like I need to make something special for them. I live in a mobile home so I'm sure th spiders, ants & earwigs are quite content living under th coach until they need a vacation from th lizards. Then they move on up to my kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, livingroom til th last thing they see is a shoe coming at 'em.