D&Mwithtip
D&Mwithtip
  • Decatur, AL

Front Door Refresh - Before & After

$150.00

What is the hardest part of painting your front door? If you are like me, it would be picking out the paint color. Painting the door is the simple part of the job. I might have a tip to make the task of picking out the color a little easier for you.

front door refresh before after

Deciding on the color, shade and paint is the hardest part when painting your front door.

front door refresh before after
  1. First step is finding the correct color to paint your door. Do you want the color to be  Monochromatic or Complementary?
  2. After finding the right color, finding the shade of color is another hurdle. Simple rule of thumb; choose a darker shade if your home’s exterior is light and a light or bright color if your home’s exterior is dark.
  3. Now finding the best paint for the exterior door. I read that the best paint for an exterior door is an exterior acrylic paint, because it is flexible and contains mildewcides designed to protect your door from harsh conditions.

After you have the three steps answered you can start painting away.

front door refresh before after

Remove all the hardware or use painter's tape to protect from getting paint on them.

front door refresh before after

Prep the door to paint.

1. A light hand sanding with 220 grit sandpaper
  2. Clean the door with a degreaser
  3. Wipe door clean and let dry
front door refresh before after

Steps for painting.

1. Use a paint brush and paint all the crevices
  2. Use a foam roller, paint the vertical panels and then horizontal panels
front door refresh before after

For our door, I painted the inside edge (the hinge part) the exterior color and the edge that is opening into your room I only painted the lip of the exterior part.

front door refresh before after

Add all your hardware on the door and enjoy your new freshly painted door!

To see more: https://decorateandmorewithtip.com/front-door-refresh-before-and-after/

• Carole
    Yesterday

Did you remover the door to paint, or were you able to do it without taking it off the hinges? Very nice job. I'd like to paint mine, but don't want to take it off the hinges. It's just me and it's too heavy. Thanks

• Ginger the farm gal
      20 hours ago

You get a smoother finish with it flat, but I couldn't remove mine either, just make sure you wedge the door open so it doesn't move, and tape off hinges, knobs and put down a drop cloth. My storm door locks so was able to leave the door open over night.

• Jlnatty
    16 hours ago

Not sure what color the door is - is it gray? Blue? Something in between? I do like the lighter color with the dark red brick, you can actually see the door now. Did you paint the shutters to match?

• Sunny
    14 hours ago

Hi, what color did you use? I love it! I'm in the process of getting a new front door installed, which is primed, but not painted. And we will be putting stone siding on the front. I think this color would be perfect! Thanks!

• Beth
    17 hours ago

By the way, D&M, I am in Madison! Good to see a neighbor on here. And I LOVE your door arrangement. Did you do it yourself?

• TateTwo
    30 minutes ago

I like it! Did you paint your welcome mat, too? (instructions?)