Front Door Refresh - Before & After

$150.00

What is the hardest part of painting your front door? If you are like me, it would be picking out the paint color. Painting the door is the simple part of the job. I might have a tip to make the task of picking out the color a little easier for you.

Deciding on the color, shade and paint is the hardest part when painting your front door.

1. First step is finding the correct color to paint your door. Do you want the color to be  Monochromatic or Complementary?
  2. After finding the right color, finding the shade of color is another hurdle. Simple rule of thumb; choose a darker shade if your home’s exterior is light and a light or bright color if your home’s exterior is dark.
  3. Now finding the best paint for the exterior door. I read that the best paint for an exterior door is an exterior acrylic paint, because it is flexible and contains mildewcides designed to protect your door from harsh conditions.

After you have the three steps answered you can start painting away.

Remove all the hardware or use painter's tape to protect from getting paint on them.

Prep the door to paint.

1. A light hand sanding with 220 grit sandpaper
  2. Clean the door with a degreaser
  3. Wipe door clean and let dry

Steps for painting.

1. Use a paint brush and paint all the crevices
  2. Use a foam roller, paint the vertical panels and then horizontal panels

For our door, I painted the inside edge (the hinge part) the exterior color and the edge that is opening into your room I only painted the lip of the exterior part.

Add all your hardware on the door and enjoy your new freshly painted door!

Decorate and More with Tip

• Rocio Lazaro

How to update a paper shade for lamp?

• Michael

How do I clean a greasy glass top stove

• Anita Pease

Wieman stove top cleaner bought from walmart . Use paper towel...if really burned on you may need a single edge razor blade too.

• Irene Hind

Are the doors wooden? I’ve got a UPVC door and I’ve been told you can’t paint them 😢

• If your door is steel, plastic or wooden the best advice I could give you is prime your surface before painting with any type of paint. Spray primer or brush on.