Master Bedroom Makeover...

$650
3 Weeks

After completing the mini-makeover in our TV sitting area, the hubster and I decided that our master bedroom needed a new personality. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it the way it is, it's just a little on the boring side...white walls, acid-washed gray concrete floors, neutral bedding, blah, blah, blah. For us, this was a huge undertaking given that we had 2 weeks of back-to-back house guests and a full week that was consumed by business meetings. WHAT was I thinking??!! I was thinking that we just needed to get it done (we've been talking about it for over a year).

This was the design plan for our bedroom...

master bedroom makeover

We wanted board and batten on the walls and I wanted to remove the ceiling fan and add a pretty light fixture. My plan included adding a mirror over each night table. I loved our night tables and had no desire to get rid of them.

Our first step was to add the board and batten. We are not installing "board" because we didn't want to remove baseboards or door frames. We also didn't want the wood battens hanging out over the baseboards or beyond the door frames, we wanted it all to be flush, so no board for us. 

master bedroom makeover

I ordered our rug from Wayfair and it arrived much sooner than we anticipated. We went ahead and put it down so that it could be flattening out. Just adding the rug made a huge difference in how the room looked.

master bedroom makeover

It took about a week to get the board and batten style wood trim finished. We could only work in the evenings (due to work) but it was worth the wait.

After getting the trim work completed, I started caulking....and caulking...and caulking. THEN, I finally got to start painting. We chose white and gray...both Sherwin Williams colors. If you head over to my blog, you can see a better progression of the transformation and more details. There are 6 posts in all.

master bedroom makeover

The paint made the room look much more sophisticated and much less boring!

After the paint I focused on artwork. I found some cute frames at IKEA and Hobby Lobby. I have a a few more details on my blog about the artwork...just printed out some images I downloaded and got them printed at Office Depot. They turned out great!

master bedroom makeover

We found our light fixture at Home Depot.

After a few weeks of really hard work, our bedroom was complete! We couldn't be more pleased with the result! It went from drab....

master bedroom makeover

To fab...

master bedroom makeover

I have lots more details of this transformation on my blog, along with paint colors and links on purchases we made. Our budget was between $500-700 and we stayed in that range.

Have a great one!

Chasing Quaintness

• Mary Monts

This is stunning! I thought I was happy with my bedroom until I saw this. Maybe I just missed it, bit what is the height of the board and batten? It seems perfect. Is there a standard height or did this jus work for you?

I really hope to hear back from you! Great project!

• Chasing Quaintness

Hi Mary! I don't think there is a standard height...I've seen it higher and shorter. Our is about 2/3 up the wall because we liked the look, but you can have whatever height works for you guys. Thank you so much!

• Lisa Rock

Hi I love this! I’m looking for a link to your blog! Can you post it here for me? I’d love to see other projects you do :). Thanks for sharing!

• Diane

This is exactly what I want in my bedroom. I'm not clear on what kind of wood you used though, could you clarify? Thanks and awesome job!