Statement Panelling on a Wall Using Adhesive

$80
1 Day

We created an open plan kitchen and dining room area and still wanted to pull the two spaces together so I decided to make a statement wall which would match the kitchen island. The dining room wall is not huge and I wanted it to stand out a bit, panelling seemed like the best solution!

statement panelling on a wall using adhesive

before photo of the blank wall. If you want so see how we created this space, see the kitchen renovation post.

Most importantly you have to get the measurements right. Our wall was 247cm high and 299cm wide so I decided to go with 5×4 number of squares. I went with strips that were 8cm wide. See the post for precise calculations.

We cut the mdf board in strips of the same size (8cm wide)

I created the frame on the wall and glue the top and outside panels using grab adhesive.

Once your framework is done, measure and glue the vertical strips.

Make sure all lines are level and square when adding the small strips

Fill any gaps and sand before priming and painting the wall. I used atape to have a nice neat line.

I used Farrow & Ball Modern Emulsion in Railings (I used a primer for the mdf board before using emulsion)

From Evija with Love

• Cathy

I want to paint my kitchen cabinets. What do I need to know? How do I search your archives? I only have my phone ( no working computer)

• From Evija with Love

Yes - agree with the answers above PREP is everything! I am using Zinsser BIN Primer as my cabinets are laminate and the paint I will be using Farrow & Ball Eggshell needs a good base to stick to. Also make sure you wash it all using sugarsoap or something similar to get rid of all the grease. Do your research before you commit to painting and honestly, prep pre prep, don't cut corners with that if you want a good long lasting finish!

• Charlotte

Beautiful!!!

• Teresa

What a statement wall, love it. Is your black trim thru your entire home? And what color of black is that ?( pleasing black color) 😀

• From Evija with Love

Thank you Teresa, the panel wall is only in the dining room. The colour is Railings by Farrow & Ball. It is deep grey with blue undertones not entirely black. It will match our island (we are currently renovating our kitchen/dining room) and all woodwork and doors will be the same colour too. The hallway has a dado rail and woodwoork and 1/2 of the wall to the dao rail will be this colour to match + 10 doors that I still need to paint!

• Dee

Thank you for a potential solution for my old kitchen walls! I live in an old house with layers of outdated, peeling wallpaper overtop of some old, felt-type half inch boards...I think this will work to cover the whole thing up without demo.

Your work looks wonderful!

• Mary Kay
    31 minutes ago

WOW, REALLY REALLY NICE, thanks for sharing...