Restoring Concrete Statuary, With Masonry and Paint.
My father asked me if I could, "Do something" for his concrete deer. He'd enjoyed having them in his yard for so many years, I decided to see if I could give them a facelift. Even real deer used to come up and check them out.
I really had to do some hard thinking on this project. I'd never attempted to rebuild/restore anything concrete except basic sidewalks or masonry. Notice that the fawn has a broken ear, and the original paint is all but gone. :(
The first step was to remove the antlers and wire brush the entire surface. The aggregate was exposed already, so this just removed moss and lichen.
Next step was to apply concrete patch. The nice gentleman at our local building center suggested adding a 'shot' of concrete adhesive to the concrete patch to make it just a little bit more dependable. No measurements were given. I used a little artistic liberty to add musculature to the buck and rounded eyes to the doe.....
Finished! The body was painted a light brown with a brush, then I used an air-paint gun to add body lines and contours.The nose and eyes were finished by hand.....Now to see if they can still fool the real deer!
Follow-up.....Yes, a real deer did come out and check them out! Will try to get a photo of one touching noses with them.
Resources for this project:
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
Published August 24th, 2013 11:22 PM
2 of 37 comments