The Paper Mama
The Paper Mama
  • Portland, OR

Faux Mercury Glass Vases

$10

The leaves have fallen, and it’s chilly outside! Time to get cozy inside with some more DIY projects. Today I’m sharing how you can create some very pretty faux mercury glassware!

faux mercury glass vases

All those pretty/aged candles and vases you find in the shops for $30+ can now be made for a few bucks. Yeeeessss. The past year I’ve seen SO many different tutorials for homemade faux glassware, but I hadn’t seen any DIY’s that you can actually turn into a vase (the usual tutorial sprays paint INSIDE of the glassware). I wanted to actually use my vases to hold flowers, so I tried something… Instead of spraying the paint inside the glassware, I sprayed it on the OUTside. It turned out lovely! Here’s how I did it.

faux mercury glass vases

Supplies:

• Glassware: an old glass vase, jar, or even an old glass container. If you can’t find anything, head to your local thrift store.
  • Krylon Looking Glass Mirror Spray Paint
  • Spray bottle
  • White Vinegar and water mixture (1/2 water + half vinegar)
  • Paper towels
  • Drop cloth/paper
  • Respirator mask (safety first!)
  • Gloves (messy)
  • Optional: goggles
faux mercury glass vases

Directions:

1. Clean and completely dry your glassware.
  2. Get your tools all ready: Put your vinegar + water mixture into the spray bottle, set the nozzle to the lightest mist setting possible. Lay down your drop cloth (outside or in a very well ventilated space), and set your glassware up. Get your gloves, mask, and beautiful goggles on. Have your paper towels nearby… ok, let’s do this!
  3. Spray a layer of the mirrored paint on the outside of a glass. Follow this with a light spritz of the vinegar + water mixture. Let that sit for 2 – 4 minutes.
  4. When your wait time is up, dab the vinegar + water mixture off of the glass. DON’T rub. That will smudge the paint. Just a light dab.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you’re happy with how the glass looks! I added about 4 layers of mirror glass to each piece (each layer was followed by a spritz of vinegar + water and then dabs).
  6. Let the paint dry for 24 hours.
faux mercury glass vases

Add some flowers and enjoy!

The Paper Mama

• Jane Doe

What is "the mercury look"?

• Robyn Garner

"Mercury glass (or silvered glass) is glass that was blown double walled, then silvered between the layers with a liquid silvering solution, and sealed."

This technique gives the look of that old glass without the double walls, etc.

• Kay Farquhar Boling

Could this be done with any color paint?

• Angi

Yes, however, it won't be the mercury look, it will be a painted look.

• Karen

Hi. I love how this looks! So cool! And I want to try it. But... I am kind of confused about how to “dab” the vase. Am I dabbing it with a dry paper towel or a slightly moistened paper towel?

• Kat Rogers

I believe you would want to use a dry paper towel and lightly dab to remove any remaining moisture from the vinegar/water mist that was done following the first coat of spray paint. I'm thinking that That Mist changes the way That Kind Of Paint dries, but having no actual experience in using This Particular Paint I'm just relying on my Sometimes accurate thought process. I definitely want to check this out Now~ the results are unique and quite different than silver spray paint!

I trust I helped and didn't cause more confusion!

• Maggie

YOU are a genius. Been wondering how to do this. Thanks!

• Heather
    30 minutes ago

Wow! You nailed it. That is a beautiful effect. I love to repurpose items. These would make nice little gifts too.