How to Refresh and Add Style to Your Stairs for Only $30

$30

My stairs were old, tired and a bit outdated. They truly were in need a major overhaul but that wasn’t in the budget. I decided to use some inexpensive removable wallpaper from Target and, lo and behold, this has been one of my favorite projects to date. They don’t look too tired any more.

my 30 staircase refresh

In my house the stairs are right off my front door, they can be the first thing that people see in the foyer. My stairs were kind of blah and boring.

my 30 staircase refresh

The first thing I had to do was tackle a thick grime that had built up on the hand rail. Obviously, I have reached a point in my life where I have no shame. The top part of the railing is how dirty it had become and no amount of cleaning seemed to help. So, at a professional cleaning ladies recommendation, I used coconut oil and baking soda. The bottom half of the railing shows how it removed everything that I couldn’t get off with other cleaners.

my 30 staircase refresh

I mixed them together in a small dish to a runny paste like consistency and used a microfiber cloth to apply it and rub it off. It was kind of Karate Kid like...wax on, wax off. I also used white vinegar on some areas, too.

my 30 staircase refresh

Now for the fun part! All that prep work was for my new wallpaper risers. This is from the Opalhouse collection at Target.

my 30 staircase refresh

I measured across the step and mine was 34 1/2 inches. My risers measured 5 1/2 inches.

my 30 staircase refresh

I cut 34 1/2 inches off the roll. Then I cut that piece into 5 1/2 inch pieces.

my 30 staircase refresh

The fact that I could pull it off and reposition it was a blessing. It is on securely so don’t think it will come off when you don’t want it to come off. The distressed look to the pattern turned out to be a blessing as well. Any imperfections are harder to see with the distressed appearance.

my 30 staircase refresh

It is so much easier to do risers than a wall so I highly recommend this easy project. I think it will build your self confidence.

my 30 staircase refresh

my 30 staircase refresh
my 30 staircase refresh

I love a good before and after, especially when it is easy on the budget! And check out how clean and shiny that hand railing looks?!?

my 30 staircase refresh

• Ramona MT

Yes. I use coconut oil on my wood all the time !

including counters and cutting board.

Antibacterial, antiviral, anti fungal.

• Kara

Love love the risers with wallpaper... who would have thought of that! The yellow wallpaper look like tiles from a distance. Gorgeous ❣️

• Charra

Do the solution work on wood floors? Asking cause my floor has a hair rinse on my floor and ive used awsome and bleach and its not all the way off the floor.

• Linda

try ashes on hair color (used in salons on skin to remove hair color) or magic eraser

• Linda

What are the proportions?

• Stacy Davis

Melt about 1/4 cup coconut oil and add about 3 teaspoons of baking soda. I think it looks like a powdered sugar glaze.

• Brenda

I just mix oil and baking soda enough just to make a paste. I don't measure anything. I use this On any wooden surface,e.g. Cabinets, countertops, furniture. Brings back any dullness in furniture or cabinets.

• Pamela Malik

This is brilliant and beautiful.