A
A
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Vineland, NJ

Beach Towel Shelf

$12

A week or so ago, I made a flip flop caddy, which you can find the tutorial on Hometalk. To compliment that project and use the other sign I had on hand, I made this beach towel shelf. Although it was a simple project, there were issues that I ran into and had to think through. Usually, if I think something is going to be easy peasy, it isnt!

beach towel shelf

Using one of my favorite materials...a fence picket, I cut the shelf back, top, and sides. The back was cut the same length as the sign, while the top was 2" longer.

beach towel shelf

Next, I measured where I wanted to place the knobs and then drilled holes for the knob screws to go through.

beach towel shelf

First issue...the knob stem sticks out beyond the back of the shelf. This will prevent it from hanging properly and it will destroy the wall.

beach towel shelf

Using a paddle bit, I created an inset at each knob location. This was done on the back.

beach towel shelf

Be careful not to drive the paddle bit all the way through.

beach towel shelf

The steps above only helped to prepare for the solution. I still needed to find a way to draw the end of the knob stem in from the back of the shelf. Simple washers to the rescue. I just kept stacking them until I was happy with the position.

beach towel shelf

The knobs were all screwed in. So far, so good.

beach towel shelf

Next, I connected the sides to the back by first drilling pilot holes and then screws.

beach towel shelf

I forgot to mention that I use wood glue wherever the pieces meet. Here I'm getting ready to attach the shelf top.

beach towel shelf

Again, drill pilot holes to save time and aggravation. Without them, screws may not go all the way through and the wood is likely to split.

beach towel shelf

Almost there...

beach towel shelf

I applied a generous amount of wood glue to the back and top of the sign. Use quality glue and plenty of it because this piece is attached only with the glue.

beach towel shelf

Place the sign on the front and snuggly against the top. I used bricks to hold it in place while letting it dry overnight. Again, this is important since glue is all that is holding the sign in place.

beach towel shelf

Here it is, all done. If you make one, be sure to hang it high enough to accommodate those long beach towels.

• Sunny

This is so cute! But where did you find the sign? Thanks!