Beach Towel Shelf

$12

A week or so ago, I made a flip flop caddy, which you can find the tutorial on Hometalk. To compliment that project and use the other sign I had on hand, I made this beach towel shelf. Although it was a simple project, there were issues that I ran into and had to think through. Usually, if I think something is going to be easy peasy, it isnt!

Using one of my favorite materials...a fence picket, I cut the shelf back, top, and sides. The back was cut the same length as the sign, while the top was 2" longer.

Next, I measured where I wanted to place the knobs and then drilled holes for the knob screws to go through.

First issue...the knob stem sticks out beyond the back of the shelf. This will prevent it from hanging properly and it will destroy the wall.

Using a paddle bit, I created an inset at each knob location. This was done on the back.

Be careful not to drive the paddle bit all the way through.

The steps above only helped to prepare for the solution. I still needed to find a way to draw the end of the knob stem in from the back of the shelf. Simple washers to the rescue. I just kept stacking them until I was happy with the position.

The knobs were all screwed in. So far, so good.

Next, I connected the sides to the back by first drilling pilot holes and then screws.

I forgot to mention that I use wood glue wherever the pieces meet. Here I'm getting ready to attach the shelf top.

Again, drill pilot holes to save time and aggravation. Without them, screws may not go all the way through and the wood is likely to split.

Almost there...

I applied a generous amount of wood glue to the back and top of the sign. Use quality glue and plenty of it because this piece is attached only with the glue.

Place the sign on the front and snuggly against the top. I used bricks to hold it in place while letting it dry overnight. Again, this is important since glue is all that is holding the sign in place.

Here it is, all done. If you make one, be sure to hang it high enough to accommodate those long beach towels.

15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
15 Memorial Day Crafts
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style

• Sunny

This is so cute! But where did you find the sign? Thanks!

• The sign totally makes it cute!

• Flipturn
    17 minutes ago

If you sew a small narrow loop tab in the middle of one side of the towel, it will stay on the knob without falling off. This may give you a wider range of knob sizes/designs to choose from, as you will then be able to use smaller ones.