Clever Oversized Shutter Farmhouse Decor

$15

This oversized shutter farmhouse decor idea is a great way to fill a boring blank wall in your home, on your porch, or even in your garden!

Of course, when I’m looking for something like this, our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore is always my first stop. Our store usually has quite a few small shutters to choose from, but of course that section of the store didn’t have any in the size that I was looking for. So I headed over to the doors! And I found about 30 of exactly what I was looking for and they were $15 per door! Bam! Outdated louvered closet doors, you now have a new lease on life!

All I had to do to make these old doors look shuttery was to remove the little hinges that were holding them together and I ended up with two separate “shutters”.

I had a particular use in mind and these closet doors were a bit too tall so I had to cut one down a bit. This is actually a super easy task on a louvered door because you really only need to cut through the outer frame on each side, so it can even be done with a handsaw if you don’t have a big miter saw or table saw handy.

[Hey! You may also like: DIY Embroidery Hoop Decor Orbs!]

I was fine just leaving it like that, but Chris (being the perfectionist that he is) wanted to reassemble the bottom to make it look like a full shutter. So we cut a few of the louvers out and reattached the bottom part of the frame with some wood glue.

I painted the shutter using a dark grey outdoor paint and added a little dry brushing in on top to give it some age and character.

And here’s where it ended up!

[Psst! Looking for more farmhouse style decor to add to your home?! Check this out: Fixer Upper Style Farmhouse Decor Ideas Under $25!]

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
CreekLineHouse .

• Linda

Will this hold up in an unprotected porch area, or do you have to use a sealer over the paint coat?