Clever Oversized Shutter Farmhouse Decor

$15

This oversized shutter farmhouse decor idea is a great way to fill a boring blank wall in your home, on your porch, or even in your garden!

clever oversized shutter farmhouse decor

Of course, when I’m looking for something like this, our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore is always my first stop. Our store usually has quite a few small shutters to choose from, but of course that section of the store didn’t have any in the size that I was looking for. So I headed over to the doors! And I found about 30 of exactly what I was looking for and they were $15 per door! Bam! Outdated louvered closet doors, you now have a new lease on life!

All I had to do to make these old doors look shuttery was to remove the little hinges that were holding them together and I ended up with two separate “shutters”.

I had a particular use in mind and these closet doors were a bit too tall so I had to cut one down a bit. This is actually a super easy task on a louvered door because you really only need to cut through the outer frame on each side, so it can even be done with a handsaw if you don’t have a big miter saw or table saw handy.

[Hey! You may also like: DIY Embroidery Hoop Decor Orbs!]

I was fine just leaving it like that, but Chris (being the perfectionist that he is) wanted to reassemble the bottom to make it look like a full shutter. So we cut a few of the louvers out and reattached the bottom part of the frame with some wood glue.

I painted the shutter using a dark grey outdoor paint and added a little dry brushing in on top to give it some age and character.

And here’s where it ended up!

[Psst! Looking for more farmhouse style decor to add to your home?! Check this out: Fixer Upper Style Farmhouse Decor Ideas Under $25!]

CreekLineHouse .

• Linda

Will this hold up in an unprotected porch area, or do you have to use a sealer over the paint coat?

• Jane

I love it just the way it is!

• Janice

Great upcycle and thanks for the idea that I think I'll be using. I have a couple of those slatted bi--fold closet doors so you've provided me with inspiration to do something with them.