DesertRose
DesertRose
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Phoenix, AZ

Spice Rack Farm House Style

$5

I grow and dehydrate my own herbs, but I have saved past bottles from when I used to buy them. I love using fresh herbs and spices when I am cooking and baking. I grind whole spices when I cannot grow them myself, like cinnamon and cloves. It seems I am always digging through my limited cabinets for the right spices or herbs. With some 2 x 4's retrieved from our stash of campfire scrap wood, a few nails, a few dollar store rulers, and shoe polish I decided to make my main herbs more accessible on the stove or counter.

post

I measured two 2 x 4's about 21 inches long, a small end piece for the center brace and briskly sanded them off.

post

It did not take much to smooth off any splinters or rough edges. I wanted this to be for a "farm kitchen" or "country kitchen" look.

post

Then I used Kiwi shoe polish with the applicator to stain the wood. This allows the wood grain to show through and is an easy "paint" job.

post

Then I attached the painted rulers with finishing nails to the front and the back so they would contain the herbs and spices. I started with it on the stove, but have since made room on the counter. Either way, they are handy now for use. The ends have 2 screws in them.

post

I did end up using wooden rulers rather than the plastic ones. They are the same price at the dollar stores as the plastic. I just liked the look of the wooden ones better.

post

It doesn't hold all my herbs and spices, but it holds the ones I use the most and it freed space in our small cabinets. I know heat is not good for herbs and spices, but since I grow, dehydrate, and grind my own, I have not detected any decline in flavor or quality. I guess I use them and refill them before they get old. If you have a small area for your spices, this may be one way to clear out your cabinet too. If you do not have the materials on hand, it might cost you $3 to $5 for the rack.

• Veronica

I love the idea. For me, I would have made this with the ruler part facing out. Thanks for the idea!

• Glenna

Not a question, but maybe this would work as a "holder" for vanity items in a bathroom? Shaving cream, shampoo, body wash, etc.