Spice Rack Farm House Style

$5

I grow and dehydrate my own herbs, but I have saved past bottles from when I used to buy them. I love using fresh herbs and spices when I am cooking and baking. I grind whole spices when I cannot grow them myself, like cinnamon and cloves. It seems I am always digging through my limited cabinets for the right spices or herbs. With some 2 x 4's retrieved from our stash of campfire scrap wood, a few nails, a few dollar store rulers, and shoe polish I decided to make my main herbs more accessible on the stove or counter.

I measured two 2 x 4's about 21 inches long, a small end piece for the center brace and briskly sanded them off.

It did not take much to smooth off any splinters or rough edges. I wanted this to be for a "farm kitchen" or "country kitchen" look.

Then I used Kiwi shoe polish with the applicator to stain the wood. This allows the wood grain to show through and is an easy "paint" job.

Then I attached the painted rulers with finishing nails to the front and the back so they would contain the herbs and spices. I started with it on the stove, but have since made room on the counter. Either way, they are handy now for use. The ends have 2 screws in them.

I did end up using wooden rulers rather than the plastic ones. They are the same price at the dollar stores as the plastic. I just liked the look of the wooden ones better.

It doesn't hold all my herbs and spices, but it holds the ones I use the most and it freed space in our small cabinets. I know heat is not good for herbs and spices, but since I grow, dehydrate, and grind my own, I have not detected any decline in flavor or quality. I guess I use them and refill them before they get old. If you have a small area for your spices, this may be one way to clear out your cabinet too. If you do not have the materials on hand, it might cost you $3 to $5 for the rack.

• June dovell

arent spices supposed to be kept as free of heat as possible?

• DesertRose

June, you have a good point. My "defense" is that the rack can be placed anywhere in the kitchen and I seldom use my stove. I have small appliances I usually prefer, so actually it is now sitting where there is the least amount of heat. You do make a good point. Also, I grow and dehydrate my own spices as much as possible and use them as quickly as I put them up, it seems. For others, they may want to consider placing their spices in a different area of the kitchen like on the cupboard or in it.

• Valerie Kalman Sawyer

This will work great for the institutional sized spices I buy (like from GFS, Sam's Costco). I have to lay them on their side in my cabinets because my shelves aren't high enough. I'll be asking my husband for 2/4 scraps & shims to use in place of rulers or paint stirrers

• DesertRose

Great! I wish I had thought of it earlier! Iove mine and my main ones are so much handier now.

• June dovell

I would try this if the heat doesnt hurt my spices.it would save a lot of pantry space