DIY Planter Box Bench Seat

$100

As part of a monthly blogger's challenge, I built this DIY Planter Box Bench Seat for my back yard. The challenge for this month was to build a project out of mostly 2x4 boards. Other than the lattice, I used 2x4 redwood boards for the entire project. Redwood is a little pricier than using any of the white wood boards, such as pine or Douglas Fir, but it holds up better in outdoor conditions. (Plus, if you have a wood planer, you can buy the construction grade redwood boards for much cheaper, and after running them through the planer they come out looking like the more expensive redwood boards).

diy planter box bench seat

Here are the abbreviated instructions for how I build this planter bench. For the full tutorial and free downloadable plans, view this post on my website here.

First, I cut the 2x4 boards for the legs and the 2x4 boards for the sides and front and back of the planter boxes. I drilled two 1 1/2" pocket holes into each end of one side of all the planter box side boards.

diy planter box bench seat

Next, using wood glue and exterior pocket hole screws, I attached the boards for each side panels to the legs, and then attached the boards for the front and back of the planter boxes.

diy planter box bench seat
diy planter box bench seat

Next, I cut the boards for the bench seat. I drilled two 1 1/2" pocket holes into each end of one side of the bench seat boards.

diy planter box bench seat

I attached the bench board using wood glue and exterior pocket hole screws.

Next, cut the 2x4 trellis support boards and attached them between the front and back legs on each side. These are the boards the lattice will attach to in a future step.

diy planter box bench seat

I then cut the boards for the front and back of the top of the trellis. I used a jig saw to cut a curve in each end of the two boards. I then attached one board accross the top of the front legs and one boards across the back of the back legs.

diy planter box bench seat
diy planter box bench seat

Next, I cut the top planter box trim boards. These require a jig saw to cut out the sections of board to fit around the legs. I then attached the trim boards to the top of each planter box using exterior wood screws.

diy planter box bench seat
diy planter box bench seat

I then cut the lattice boards to size for the sides and top of the trellis. I attached using a brad nailer and brad nails.

diy planter box bench seat

I sanded the planter box bench seat and added three coats of exterior polyurethane. Once dry, I added 12" square plastic planters (need a lip on them to hold in place) and added a hibiscus plant to each planter.

diy planter box bench seat
diy planter box bench seat
diy planter box bench seat

Pinspired to DIY

• Bonnie

I love your idea. But why wouldn't you put in climbers?

• Anthony

Sorry if I missed it, but did you use any liner for the planters, so when u water the 'drawers' won't rot, even if they are redwood.

• Michelle Lemon

Do you fight spider webs often in the seating area