DIY Vent Hood Cover

$20

Hello again! 👋🏻 If you don’t know by now, I’m always looking for ways to add character to my home without spending a lot of money!

diy vent hood cover

My kitchen is very small and started out prettyyy boring.

diy vent hood cover

We’ve done a lot of different things to spice up our kitchen, but the easiest thing was the vent hood cover! Follow me on Instagram to see all of my home projects.

diy vent hood cover

I started by removing the 2 small cabinet doors and hinges above my microwave. Then I built a little frame around the cabinet cut out with 1x3s. This is actually a fake cabinet with no bottom, so I’m not sad about covering it up!

diy vent hood cover

I secured the 1x3 frame to my cabinet with pocket holes from my Kreg Jig and 1.5” screws. You could also use L brackets if you don’t have a Kreg Jig!

diy vent hood cover

I wanted my vent hood cover to be taller but because I have soffit that sticks out an inch past my cabinets, I couldn’t build my frame any taller than it already was. To improvise, I nailed 1x2 boards vertically above the bottom frame on each side, then I nailed a 1x8 horizontally over top of those pieces.

diy vent hood cover

For the cover on the bottom frame, I needed a 15” piece, so I mended a few different width boards together with pocket holes from my Kreg Jig and 1.5” screws. You could also use metal mending plates though!

diy vent hood cover

I wanted to be able to access the fake cabinet somewhat easily since there is duct work and an outlet in there, so I just used some 1.5” gold screws to secure the bottom cover to the 1x3 frame.

diy vent hood cover

To cover the little gap between the soffit and cabinets, I nailed up a little piece of 1x2 trim with 45 degree edges and a 1x4 with 45 degree edges on the bottom.

diy vent hood cover

Here’s a little recap of all the different size boards I’ve got going on!

diy vent hood cover

In typical ME fashion, I decided I didn’t love the bottom trim piece, so I yanked it off. 🤪

diy vent hood cover

I decided I wanted a 1x6 for the bottom trim piece instead of the 1x4 I had previously, so I cut some new pieces with 45 degree edges and nailed them up.

diy vent hood cover

diy vent hood cover

I used my fav stain color (Minwax Special Walnut) and sealed the whole thing with a coat of polycrylic. We’ve had it up for 2 years now and have not had any issues with warping from stovetop steam or heat.

diy vent hood cover

That’s it! What do you think!? For home sources and tutorials, check out my Instagram!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness/

• Jeff

Beautiful job, Brooke. I think my kitchen is smaller than yours. I have maple colored cabinetry that I selected in a total house renovation. The more I see white kitchens, the more it’s pushing me to paint and brighten mine up!

Trying to get there mentally!!!

Great job!!!!

• Karen Boyd

I am definitely going to consider this, once we finish......... (list too long) I have a problem area over my vented micro/hood combo. There is a bulk head over that area of the kitchen and the cabinet is much shorter than yours. Great idea.