DIY Vent Hood Cover

$20

Hello again! 👋🏻 If you don’t know by now, I’m always looking for ways to add character to my home without spending a lot of money!

Outdated Kitchen

My kitchen is very small and started out prettyyy boring.

Kitchen Makeover

We’ve done a lot of different things to spice up our kitchen, but the easiest thing was the vent hood cover! Follow me on Instagram to see all of my home projects.

Here's what you'll need for this project:

• Cordless Brad Nailer Kit
  • Brad nails
  • Kreg jig
  • Kreg screws
  • Compound Miter Saw
  • Wood screws
  • Drill
  • Wood

Remove Cabinet Doors

Remove Cabinet Doors

I started by removing the 2 small cabinet doors and hinges above my microwave. Then I built a little frame around the cabinet cut out with 1x3s. This is actually a fake cabinet with no bottom, so I’m not sad about covering it up!

Secure the Frame

Secure the Frame

I secured the 1x3 frame to my cabinet with pocket holes from my Kreg Jig and 1.5” screws. You could also use L brackets if you don’t have a Kreg Jig!

Add Boards to Make It Taller

Add Boards

I wanted my vent hood cover to be taller but because I have soffit that sticks out an inch past my cabinets, I couldn’t build my frame any taller than it already was. To improvise, I nailed 1x2 boards vertically above the bottom frame on each side, then I nailed a 1x8 horizontally over top of those pieces.

Add Pocket Holes

Add Pocket Holes

For the cover on the bottom frame, I needed a 15” piece, so I mended a few different width boards together with pocket holes from my Kreg Jig and 1.5” screws. You could also use metal mending plates though!

Secure the Bottom

Secure the Bottom

I wanted to be able to access the fake cabinet somewhat easily since there is duct work and an outlet in there, so I just used some 1.5” gold screws to secure the bottom cover to the 1x3 frame.

Add Trim

Add Trim

To cover the little gap between the soffit and cabinets, I nailed up a little piece of 1x2 trim with 45 degree edges and a 1x4 with 45 degree edges on the bottom.

Boards

Here’s a little recap of all the different size boards I’ve got going on!

DIY Microwave Hood

In typical ME fashion, I decided I didn’t love the bottom trim piece, so I yanked it off. 🤪

Try Some New Trim

Try Some New Trim

I decided I wanted a 1x6 for the bottom trim piece instead of the 1x4 I had previously, so I cut some new pieces with 45 degree edges and nailed them up.

DIY Wooden Microwave Hood

Stain and Seal

Stain and Seal

I used my fav stain color (Minwax Special Walnut) and sealed the whole thing with a coat of polycrylic. We’ve had it up for 2 years now and have not had any issues with warping from stovetop steam or heat.

Easy Wooden Microwave Hood

That’s it! What do you think!? For home sources and tutorials, check out my Instagram!

3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness/

• Carol

How did your stove and microwave go from black to white? You didn't mention any materials or new appliances so I just wondered.

• Teri

I'm concerned that you covered the electrical outlet, even though your cover is screwed closed are you sure the fire safety code allows for this? Please check.. Would really be unfortunate if a electric fire started in there and your insurance won't cover you. *if it's ok just ensure that you dust and clean inside regularly so no grease or dust catches fire.

• Dianne

How does the vent work when u have a microwave sitting between the stove and the vent. The microwave needs to have clear vents on the side of it also.

• Karlahafner

Looks like hers is vented on top to outside. Mine is that way.