Plant Pot Transformation

$6

Transform an old garden plant pot with a few coats of paint.

We’ve had this palm tree for about 7 years and it used to sit beautifully on the balcony of our old apartment. However, since moving house and designing our garden it no longer really fits in. I disliked the orange terracotta as it just didn’t blend in with the neutral colours of our garden fences and furniture. I had debated getting a new pot but my husband refused to replant it as he wasn’t sure it would survive! So out came the paint!!

Step one was to clean off all the gross algae that had formed over winter. This took a bit of elbow grease but came off easily with a scrubbing brush, water and dish soap.

I used outdoor garden paint which I already had open as we recently used it to paint the garden fences.

I used a large paintbrush to apply the majority of the paint which meant I was able to cover the area really quickly. I then finished the application with a smaller brush for the areas at the top of the pot.

I got really good coverage with just one coat and then lightly going over the area again with a light second coat.

It would also be possible to try any kind of paint as a distressed look would result in any weathering of the paint. I decided not to distress the pot for now as I want to see how well it lasts over winter. If bad weathering occurs then I may either touch up the paint or distress to complete the finish.

Here is the finished look! I’m so happy with how it blends in now with the rest of the patio area. And the whole process took just under an hour. Since I already had all the required materials for this project it actually cost me nothing! So the cost for this would be variable depending on materials already available.

• Catherine Cornelius

What happens when the terracotta absorbs and releases water?

• Rachel | mapleandgrey

There is a drainage hole at the bottom of the pot. As for how it weathers I will have to wait and see!

• Doris dempster

did you remove the tree to paint inside? how did you get the white inside trim without removing the tree?

• Rachel | mapleandgrey

I left the tree in the pot as it would have been too risky to move it. I just moved the stones to the middle of the pot away from the edge while I painted the inside trim, then moved them back in place once it was dry!

• Daisy@TX

Like it! Looks Great! I have two pots and I don't like the terra-cotta color too much so I'm going to give them a "make-over".

• Gail

Some people actually want weathered pots and mix manure and buttermilk to paint with to encourage this same growth. People are all different and that is what makes the world go round. you pot looks lovely.

• Cathy Messer

And since I LOVE the algae/moss look of pots, I think I might have only done the top edge in white and kept some of the greens. But like you say, everyone has different preferences.