Repurposing a Tin Can Into a Unique Handbag Planter

$5

Do you enjoy recycling and repurposing things? One of my favorite things to recycle are tin cans. There's just so much you can do with them. They can be turned into the cutest little washboard shelf or you can make a few of these tin can handbags and use them as unique planters.

You can style the handbags any way you want and if you've got a brown thumb you can always add some faux plants instead of the real thing  or use them to store bits and bobs in your bathroom.

To make the tin can handbag planters you’ll need:

• Clean empty tin can
  • Old belt or rope and fabric scraps
  • Rubber mallet
  • Drill and metal drill bits
  • Paint color of your choice

This planter is super easy to make. Use a can opener to remove the bottom off of your empty tin can and then smack the bottom flat with a rubber mallet.

Make two holes on either side of the un-flattened portion of the tin can. The holes need to be big enough to thread your belt or rope through.

Paint the tin can in a color of your choice. Or you can mod podge on some pretty fabric or serviettes. I painted ours white, and glued scraps of leather on to mimic the look of a boho styled handbag,

When your happy with the look, add the belt or piece of rope and some of your favorite plants and you're all done.

Not bad for 30 minutes worth of smacking, painting and gluing  We hung our tin can handbag planter on a old frame and added one of our wine glass coconut planters to complete the look.

I would love to know what you think of the idea. How would you dolly your tin can handbag up?

The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Michelle Leslie

• Ofelia
    Ofelia

That is cute might try

• Suzanne
    Suzanne

I'm a Halloween decorater and I'm just trying to figure out what to make for Halloween out of a tissue box, any ideas?

• Beth
    Beth
    An hour ago

What do you put inside to hold the dirt? Also watering the plant does it just drip out from the bottom? It is darling.

• Mcgypsy9
    Mcgypsy9

How in the world I’ve missed this in my many craft searches for tin cans, I’ll never know but I’m sure glad I found it now! This is just gorgeous! So simple and very well done!

• Em
    Em

So very clever. Thanks for the inspiration (and the meerkat).