Mary Beth
Mary Beth
  • Aliquippa, PA

DIY Feather Tree

$10

Create the look of a vintage feather tree with a small Christmas tree and a few basic supplies. You will make a mess, but the process is so much fun!

I started with an old Christmas tree that I not longer had the base for. I grabbed an old urn, some white paint, glass rocks, a sponge brush, and small ornaments that I bought at Target.

I began by updating the small urn and painting it white.

I then fanned out the tree limbs and began dry brushing the tree leaving some of the green showing but covering as much as possible. I wanted the finished look to be one of freshly fallen snow.

This is a ridiculously messy procedure so be sure you do it outside or in an area that is thoroughly covered.

Once the tree was dry I hot glued it into the urn.

I added some dollar store pebbles to the base of the urn after gluing in the tree to hold everything in place and add some weight to the urn so the finished tree doesn't topple over. I also added the glass like rocks on top of the pebbles to give a nice reflective glow.

And here is the finished tree! For more details and 10 more thrifty Christmas decor DIYs please stop by my blog, The How-To Home: https://thehowtohome.com/diy-feather-tree/

Mary Beth

• Sandy

i thought it was a feather tree?

• Mary Beth

The first line says, "create the look" which indicates it's not an actual feather tree.

• Junestarr

can you use regular white paint

• Mary Beth

Hi Junestarr, I think regular white paint would be too thick. If you can water it down just a little bit you could try it on a small area first and see if you like the results.

• Linda

I have a small urn that will be perfect for making a tree for my at work space where I don't have a lot of room. Thanks for the thought!

• Jaynie

Hasn't anyone ever thought of wearing nitrile or latex gloves when painting? I do it all of the time.