Paint It Blue! Painting My Front Door & Greenery Decor

$40

So recently, I found a Paint App that shows what your front door will look like in different Modern Masters colors before you even pick up a paint brush. I bought Modern Masters in a blue color called Calm. I have been thinking of using the calm somewhere and painting my door black instead. I was really worried I wasn’t going to like it.

This was what it looked like on the app.

Here is a before shot. I finally decided it was now or never...bad weather was moving in and I wanted a fresh color on my door for Christmas.

The first thing that I noticed was the free Door Paint App shown on top of the lid. Oh excitement! I can see how wonderful it will look before I even go to all the hassle of painting it. Soooo excited! 

Here is the color and paint that I selected. I chose Modern Masters Never Fades Front Door Paint in the color Calm.

The molding was coming off in areas but I didn’t want to remove the whole thing.

So, I took a putty knife and was scraping the old adhesive off... and I broke it off. Ugh! I know it isn’t ideal but I reattached it with caulk adhesive and held it in place with duct tape until it was dry.

This isn’t a long term solution but we have rain and cold moving in so I just wanted to get to painting. Also, I was finally going to do the blue paint, if I was delayed, there was a very good chance I would change my mind.

First I washed the door with some soapy water.

Then, I used painters tape around the glass. If you choose this color, keep telling yourself that it will dry darker. I swear it goes on brilliant blue.

While the trim and the paint dried, I put together some greenery and ornaments.

You could even leave the ornaments out and it still looks good with the greenery and pine cones.

So pretty and so simple.

This over grown monstrosity is where the greenery came from... it was in definite need of a haircut. All you need is something to cut the branches and long armed gloves to protect Your hands from prickers. Days later, I kept finding slivers all over my fingers and realized that I used the gloves when I cut off the branches but then I was rearranging the cutoffs in the pail, I hadn’t bothered to put the gloves Back on.

I LOVE ❤️ LOVE it! 😍 I wasn’t sure it would go with my Christmas decor but I think it works.

I can’t believe that I had such huge doubts about it. Would you paint your door blue? I am so glad that I took the chance and tried something new. All my previous houses had black front doors so that would have been a pretty safe bet.

Have you ever stepped outside of your comfort zone and tried a bold color? What color was it and how did it go?

Not going to lie, I was really worried about painting that door blue.

Now, I know a lot of people are partial to red front doors, but I guess I was ready for a change because I believe my blue front door is here to stay.

My tobacco basket all ready for Christmas.

Would you add anything to the faux cedars? Lights, ornaments or what? I put some gold pine cones on but thought maybe there was already enough going on.

The blue looks great. Caulk was a good idea. It also water proofs the seams. A couple finish nails and your good.

• Stacy Davis

Thanks! I wish nails would work but my door is metal. But I bet nails would work for some people. Good advice!

• Barb

Beautiful.