DIY Christmas Farmhouse Sign

$10

This is a relatively fun and simple project and can be done in so many different ways.

This took about three hours to complete.

I chose to go to my local thrift store to find really nice detailed frames at a great price.

The frame I selected for this project cost $6 (Original price tag on the back was $20) so that was a bargain.

I also picked up a small Christmas wreath there for less than $2.

I used Anne Slaon Chalk Paint Linen that I had from a different project but you can use Regular house flat paint mixing in some Plaster Paris. This is a great alternative to name brands and Good for large projects. I learned how to make my own chalk paint on YouTube.

I also had some fabric in a canvas beige that I had from a previous project. I purchased the fabric from Walmart for $2.

For the lettering, I recently purchased a Cricut, but you can use stencil or precut letters. In this project I selected the mirror image for the Vinyl letters so I can place them on the glass using transfer tape from Cricut.

In this post I will show Cricut Application

This is my finished frame.

Here are a couple of frames I purchased at Goodwill for my project.

For this one I used the frame on the right. It was larger and fit the lettering nicely.

I removed the glass and started painting the frame with the chalk paint. I used a small brush to fill in the difficult detail areas.

After I completely painted the frame with three coats I let it dry.

Then I went back to sand over the detail areas to give it a distressed look. I sanded areas randomly. I loved how the dark colors came out from the original color.

This is the final look for the frame.

Then using 3/4” eye screws for the hanging ribbon. I pre-drilled each upper corner of the frame. Then I screwed in the hooks. I like these size hooks since they are large enough to thread the ribbon and small enough to not be so visible. I purchased this whole package at Walmart for less than $3

I also like that you can turn the hook easily to adjust the fall of the ribbon draping the frame.

I then disassembled the little wreath I purchased at Goodwill. I then used the pieces to decorate two corners of the frame.

It is best to sand down the area you want to place the decorations. This will allow for better adhesion for the hot glue.

Glue each piece one at a time for good adhesion.

After placing all decorations I let the hot glue dry. I then went to create the lettering for the glass.

Using the Cricut Cutter, I created “Merry Christmas” letters that were ornate to go well with the frame. I also made sure to cut in a mirror image so that the letters would be behind the glass.

If you purchase precut letters you will need to place them on the front side of the glass if they are the sticker type.

I then used the transfer tape to apply to the glass.

Note- on the glass, you can draw lines on the front side to help you align your letters. Then clean lines off after placing letters.

I find this to be the trickiest part. With patience and a steady hand it should go easy.

This goes easier with a flat tool to help the letters stick to the glass better when removing the transfer tape.

Now I can take the backing from the frame and apply fabric. I like fabric instead of printed paper for this project because it gives a nice texture. I used a beige canvas from Walmart. The material size needed is so small that a yard will go a long way for many projects.

When cutting the fabric leave an extra inch on every side. Then hot glue the back to give it a uniform, tight fit. Cut excess material and glue edges on the back side.

At this point I threaded the ribbon through the eye hooks. I then twisted the hooks to have the ribbon drape on the frame. I then used hot glue on the upper corners to keep the ribbon In place.

Then I inserted glass and fabric wrapped backing.

This whole project cost me less than $10 since I already had some of the materials around the house. If you need to buy a quart of paint it will be anywhere from $15-30 if you need to purchase all supplies.

Hope you enjoy the project.

Thank you for viewing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Jan

Nice work! This is just beautiful - good job repurposing, love it!

• Kerri C. Bosch

Love this! I'm going to make this with an inspirational quote or something since Christmas is over and I cannot wait for Christmas next year to try it.