From Dresser to Dining Room Buffet

$30

Our daughter, Katie, had told us she was looking for a buffet for her dining room. It had to be a certain size and very cheap.

And of course, since I redesign furniture, I figured I could find one for a good price and just paint it her colors.

It took us a bit, but we eventually found this one for FREE [free is good] alongside the road.

My two daughters and two grandkids did all the prep work and I helped with the painting part since I redesign furniture for my full-time "job". It doesn't feel like a job to me, more like "play".

We used Benjamin Moore Advance for the charcoal top and white base. The knobs and pulls are from Hobby Lobby.

The pull in the center came from my stash and I have no idea where I got it...probably Hobby Lobby too.

The base didn't get a topcoat, but the top was painted with flat, so we added a few coats of satin polycrylic.

My DD wanted a bit of a distressed look, so she took a sanding block and did a little distressing.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Distressing is a super simple way to make your piece look time-worn.

I can't help it. I have to say it again.

It always amazes me to see the transformation a piece can go through with just a bit of elbow grease and paint. And vision. You gotta have vision.

If you'd like to learn about furniture redesign, come join our group,  Furniture Flipping Forum.

The theme this week is antiquing and aging. It's more of a learning group than a socialization spot. It's good to be among those who want to learn right along with you and can lend their experiences.

To see more of the project, go to the blog post listed here. Happy painting! ~ Val

• Alkyd Paint  (Benjamin Moore Store)
  • Hardware  (Hobby Lobby)
  • Polycrylic Top Coat  (Amazon)

Val Frania {Love My DIY Home}

• Mildred G.

When picking up furniture on the side of the road or thrift shops how to you know you are not bringing home bed bugs or other pest? How do you clean? I often find treasures but am not sure about bringing them home. Beautiful job!!!!

• Tammy Mylott

Not to overstep my bounds but i often find treasures on the side of the road and to tell you the truth if you get a funny feeling about the piece just leave it ive been redoing furnitire for almost three years only once did i bring home bugs but that was one time too many so again if you get a funny feeling just leave it there

• Debbie

Beautiful! I am not crafty at ALL but would love to do this to some old furniture I have . How do you know how much sanding needs to be prepped before you can paint the furniture ?

• Sabrina

I sand down to get all old product off n see the pretty grain underneath. Depends what n how yoir sanding with but usually if yoir repainting just enough comes off so that you can no longer see a shine or paimt left behind.

• Judy Grubowski

That looks beautiful I have an old piece with the top flips over to a table and it has the Lions feet put paint remover All over and it looks kind of ugly because I didn’t get all the creases with the varnish on it but it dried because I got disgusted do you know how I can get that launch off and start all over again

• Kim Hope
    Yesterday

I absolutely love this. I have done the same for a bathroom vanity. My problem is I didn't know what to use to prevent water and soap stains on countertop. I'm unfortunately going to have to redo the top. Can you recommend what you would use to prevent this going forward. You did such a nice job. Thank you.

• Come join our group on FB, @FurnitureFlippingForum and you can post that question and get answers from those how have already done a bathroom countertop.

• Debi53
    2 hours ago

I also took a dresser, painted it, and used it as a sideboard in my dining room. Great minds think alike, maybe? LOL. Yours turned out beautifully. Great job.