Asked on Jan 10, 2020

How can I make over an ugly entryway?

Lindsay AratariDeeDebi53
+12

I need some ideas on this ugly entryway...this wallpaper has GOT TO GO

• Gk
    Gk

Hello Cheryl! You could put up some shiplap! I have used this product in several areas of my home and I love how easy it is to put up! Home Depot-Arauco Preprimed Ship Lap. It's sold in different lengths, easy to cut, easy to apply with a nailgun. Looks like you have room to hang a coat rack, add a bench, a pretty rug, and some wall décor!

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

Strip the wallpaper and paint the wall to make it a statement wall with a great color, or, if you are more of a farmhouse style lover, perhaps do a board and batten treatment on the wall, or even re-wallpaper with something you love.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Hi Cheryl,

Here is a link, when you open it there is a box that says VIEW GALLERY 42 photos, select that to see some entrance way ideas:

https://www.housebeautiful.com/room-decorating/entryway-ideas/g650/fabulous-designer-foyers/

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Peel as much as possible from the walls.

If you can't get to the backing, you may need to score the paper with a tool. Paper Tiger is easy to find. Light pressure because you don't want to damage the wall behind the paper.

Mix 50/50 fabric softener & warm water in a spray bottle or garden sprayer. I've read that vinegar is as effective but I have never used it.

Allow the mixture to sit for 5 - 10 minutes so that it saturates the adhesive on the paper backing.

Scrape with a plastic scraper.

Once it is all removed, wash the walls with warm soapy water (blue Dawn is my go-to) and a microfiber cloth.

• Vivien Albrecht
    Vivien Albrecht

You could also paint over the wallpaper directly.

• Janice
    Janice

After the wallpaper is removed, the easiest and least expensive change would be to paint. There are numerous ways to paint, so let your style be your guide. You can mask off and paint various designs in various colors, etc. to make your space unique.

Here's some thoughts....

https://freshome.com/why-your-foyer-needs-color/

https://www.paintzen.com/blog/top-11-paint-colors-for-entryways

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

Keep it light and bright as I don't see a window. Get colour from a mat and a pic. Maybe mount a mirror to reflect the light with a narrow console table underneath with a bowl for keys, etc. If room, maybe add a tall, slim artificial to soften edges.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Painting over wallpaper is not recommended.

Although it seems to be somewhat of a decorating fad, doing so is only inviting larger problems and more headaches with removal later on down the road.

• Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

Just paint over the wallpaper.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

You can paint over the wall paper or remove it and add a fresh coat of paint. I would add a large mirror to the area to brighten it up and make it look bigger.

• Dee
    Dee

If you do not want to paint over the wallpaper, use a paper tiger tool that you can buy in Home Depot or Lowes. Score the paper then spray with Downey Fabric softener mixed with a little water. Approximately 2/3rds Downey 1/3rd water. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Then use a plastic scraper which you can get at the auto store or in Walmart's auto department. The paper will come off really easy this way. Then rinse the wall with a mild detergent, I used Dawn and water, rinsed with plain water and let dry.

Paint the top half of the wall whatever color you want to use in the entryway, grays are in right now, but be careful it does not have purple undertones, unless you want the purple.

I would then get a Board and Batten kit from Home Depot, they are easy to put up Did this in my front bathroom. Put a chair rail over the board and batten.

I would either add a bench or a console table to the entryway. A console table will give you storage and a place for keys, and such.

Have fun and let us know what you decide.

Oh, I painted over wallpaper 10 years ago in a different room and it is still holding up fine.

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

I would remove the wallpaper and paint it