DIY Breakfast Bar Cabinet

$0
1 Day

Hi friends! When we first moved into our home, we found a matching cabinet door with the same hinges as our kitchen hanging out in the basement. I’m not sure what it was originally meant for, but I’m so glad we found a great use for it!

DIY Breakfast Bar Cabinet

As you can see in this photo, I have access to the first half of the shelves in my breakfast bar from the front.

Easy DIY Breakfast Bar Cabinet

The shelves run all the way to the wall, but I could never put anything back there without having to take everything back out to get to whatever was back there. So annoying!

For this project I used:

• cabinet door
  • tape measure
  • tape
  • drill
  • Dremel oscillating multi-tool
  • sandpaper
  • stain
  • paint
  • router bit

Measure

Measure

After pondering this idea for years, I finally brought the cabinet door upstairs and taped off the size of the hole that needed to be cut. The inside of the door has indents around it, so I made sure to get my measurements from the edge of each indent. Then I got really nervous and had to recruit my guy for help! 😅 He checked my measurements and drilled a hole big enough for the jigsaw blade to fit in.

Cut a Hole

Cut a Hole

Then he just started cutting away my beautiful kitchen!!! I was real terrified at this point. 😂🤣🤣

DIY Kitchen Cabinet

Cut Carefully

Cut Carefully

He used our Dremel oscillating multi-tool to cut around the areas in front of the shelf, so he didn’t cut through it.

Sand, Stain, and Paint

Sand, Stain, and Paint

When he was done, I pulled myself together from my little freak out and sanded all the cut areas, touched up the stain on the front of the shelf and painted the rim of my new cabinet!

Check the Dimensions

Check the Dimensions

It couldn’t be that easy though!! As you can see from the above photos, he couldn’t cut the hole as big as the cabinet door needed to be because of the bottom shelf, so the door didn’t fit.

Check the Size

Instead of cutting the door and it not being proportional on the breakfast bar, I decided to make the bottom indent higher with my router and router table. I needed to route to the little black mark about 1.5” from the bottom.

Cut with a Router

Cut with a Router

I only had a 1/4” straight bit for my router, so I set my router bit to the right depth and positioned the guide a little under 1/4” where I wanted it to cut.

Cut Cabinet Door

Easy peasy!

Sand

Sand

I moved my guide back 1/4” for each pass until I got to my mark then sanded the bottom with 80 grit sandpaper to get it nice and smooth.

Fit the Door in Place

Fit the Door in Place

It fit perfectly! I painted the cabinet door the same way I painted the rest of my kitchen cabinets. You can find that tutorial here and be sure to follow me on Instagram to see more of my crazy ideas!

DIY Kitchen Cabinet Door Installation

I love being able to use this space now!!!

DIY Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

Since the door and hinges match the rest of the kitchen, it looks like it was built this way! Moral of the story, don’t be scared like me, and go for it!!! 🙌🏻😍

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness/

• Kim Olsen

Could you have done two doors? The one door looks a bit off balanced.

• Amy Jo Olson

I think the one door works because of the single drawer above it... but I have never been one for symmetry. Different strokes for different folks, right? I guess if a false door were added to make it symmetrical, then I would also add a false drawer front above it. Either way, this is an amazing idea! I have been using this site for a few years and honestly, this is the first project from this site that I think is absolutely brilliant! And this will be the first project that i will actually try! Five stars for Brooke!!!

• Frances Ann Hopper Mabry

Great idea! I may do the same!!

• Geneva Watts

Why didn’t you open it from the other side?

• Doris Schroeder Adamy

If you look at the layout of the kitchen (1st pic), the counter is in an 'L' shape, so that corner wasn't directly accessible from the other side. She could only get to that space by removing everything else in the cabinet first, through the door on the opposite side. Now, she has direct access to the corner space.

• Eva

To have extra access is always good, specially in a small kitchen .

• Tina
    Just now

I love it. Your kitchen set-up is very similar to mine. I cut the wall out; but there’s a support piece in the middle. I’m afraid that if I cut it, there may not be enough support for the microwave oven above and the tiles. I want to cut the bottom part also and put on the door I bought, so it looks nice like yours.

clever work with the router for the door.