DIY Breakfast Bar Cabinet

$0
1 Day

Hi friends! When we first moved into our home, we found a matching cabinet door with the same hinges as our kitchen hanging out in the basement. I’m not sure what it was originally meant for, but I’m so glad we found a great use for it!
As you can see in this photo, I have access to the first half of the shelves in my breakfast bar from the front.
The shelves run all the way to the wall, but I could never put anything back there without having to take everything back out to get to whatever was back there. So annoying!
After pondering this idea for years, I finally brought the cabinet door upstairs and taped off the size of the hole that needed to be cut. The inside of the door has indents around it, so I made sure to get my measurements from the edge of each indent. Then I got really nervous and had to recruit my guy for help! 😅 He checked my measurements and drilled a hole big enough for the jigsaw blade to fit in.
Then he just started cutting away my beautiful kitchen!!! I was real terrified at this point. 😂🤣🤣

He used our Dremel oscillating multi-tool to cut around the areas in front of the shelf, so he didn’t cut through it.
When he was done, I pulled myself together from my little freak out and sanded all the cut areas, touched up the stain on the front of the shelf and painted the rim of my new cabinet!
It couldn’t be that easy though!! As you can see from the above photos, he couldn’t cut the hole as big as the cabinet door needed to be because of the bottom shelf, so the door didn’t fit.
Instead of cutting the door and it not being proportional on the breakfast bar, I decided to make the bottom indent higher with my router and router table. I needed to route to the little black mark about 1.5” from the bottom.
I only had a 1/4” straight bit for my router, so I set my router bit to the right depth and positioned the guide a little under 1/4” where I wanted it to cut.
Easy peasy!
I moved my guide back 1/4” for each pass until I got to my mark then sanded the bottom with 80 grit sandpaper to get it nice and smooth.
It fit perfectly! I painted the cabinet door the same way I painted the rest of my kitchen cabinets. You can find that tutorial here and be sure to follow me on Instagram to see more of my crazy ideas!
I love being able to use this space now!!!
Since the door and hinges match the rest of the kitchen, it looks like it was built this way! Moral of the story, don’t be scared like me, and go for it!!! 🙌🏻😍

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness/

• Brenda

No question a suggestion. I would put beadboard on top of the cupboard door or cut lines in the cupboard door to match the rest of the bottom of the cabinet

• The Snarky Princess

I was thinking the same thing. I have seen a few projects where they made the cuts much like you did to make the back fit. But a thinner indent is needed. Looks fantastic! I have a dead space as well but it is in a corner with no access sadly. So far the only option I’ve found is around $1000.

• Mary Birdsong

This is great! I have one of those cabinets that would take a contortionist to get things out of. Unfortunately, mine is not accessible from the other side or I would be re-creating your idea!