Trash to Treasure Chairs

$20

My husband ‘rescued’ these off the side of the road meant for the trash. I’m glad he did that cause check out these chairs! Yes, the cushions were outdated and had seen better days, but I knew I didn’t have too much work to do to fix these babies up. I really like the shape and size of them. Bonus, they swivel! I knew these would make the perfect addition to our upstairs deck area.

Step 1, Sand…

As you can see there were some spots that were missing stain and looked a little frayed and beat up. To fix this, I just sanded those spots down using some sand paper from the garage.

Step 2, Paint…

Chocolate Swirl by Behr was the color I chose.
I was excited to use my new paint sprayer (the Wagner FLEXiO 5000) for this project. This thing is pretty great.
If you don’t have a paint sprayer and you like to do projects like this, do yourself a favor and get one. It makes life so much easier! The FLEXiO is awesome. Check out my video.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Viola, here they are all fixed up. PS – It only took about 15 or 20 minutes to paint 2 chairs using my sprayer.

Last month I painted the bench (also found on the side of the road meant for the trash) and wasn’t crazy about the color I chose. While I had my paint sprayer out, I painted it the same brown as the chairs, and like it much better.  Now they look like a set that was meant to go together.
I added some cushions and pillows (that we already had) and we were good to go! Not bad for Free Chairs. They are the perfect addition to our deck area. Since we live in Florida we can use these chairs year round.

The House house

• Leslie Packwood

I love this look and its something I've always wanted. However, I live in a pretty rainy area and while the chairs are not directly in the downpours, they would get wet. Would I have to worry about them getting ruined? Do I have to take the cushions inside every night?

• Beth

I cover cushions seasonally with cheap vinyl tablecloths from Walmart or Big Lots. Just wrap them like you would a gift and tape them on the back side with duct tape. They last in the weather -- although not in the direct rain, but they do get sprayed by it as they are on a covered patio -- until the next season, when the pattern is more faded than anything else. The original cushions beneath are in great shape after nine years of doing this. Perfect for wet bathing suit plopper-downers, too!

• Beautiful soul

I have some of that same type of furniture that I found. and I’m getting ready to work on. And I have a new paint sprayer but was wondering if you had to add any water to water down the paint a little bit before it goes through the sprayer??. I’ve never use that type of paint before! They turned out beautiful. And Lucky you living in Florida it’s 10° where I live today. Not fun at all. I’m working in my garage with four heaters. Don’t you just love find peoples trash that you can turn into the most awesome treasures to resell or half for yourself. I love it

• Robyn Garner

Great "rescues"! Too bad I don't see many worthwhile items in the trash lol! 😎

• Pat
    5 hours ago

I’ll have to pay better attention to trash day ! I could really use a new fresh look!!! 👍🏻😃