How to Make Coasters in the Shape of a Geode

$20

Have you seen resin art Geodes? They are beautiful and full of colors ( click here to see some of my favorite resin art geodes!) Art that is geocentric seems to be on the rise! I have seen everything from geode ring boxes, geode cakes, geode tumblers and geode bookends (which are SO cool!) I wanted to share with you all how you can make coasters in the shape of a geode!A Geode is “a nodule of stone having a cavity lined with crystals or mineral matter” – Mirriam Webster Dictionary The more colors and sparkle you can add to your geode shape coaster mold the more geocentric your coasters will look!

Supplies for Making Geode Shape Resin Coasters

1. Square Resin Geode Coaster Mold
  2. Stonecoat Countertops Epoxy
  3. Mica Powders
  4. Paint Pen
  5. Disposable Cups
  6. Popsicle Sticks
  7. Heat Gun

Steps to Making Resin Geode Shape Coasters

Begin with a clean square geode coaster mold. Make sure mold is free of any lint.
NOTE: please wear disposable gloves.Mix resin according to manufacturer’s packaging. Typically this is a one to one ratio. Mix equal parts of A into equal parts of B. Stir with popsicle stick for 2 minutes.When resin is mixed you are ready to add your colors! I chose a light silver and almost a periwinkle color for this project. Pour the clear resin into two separate plastic cups. Add each color of mica powder to a separate cup of resin. Mix mica powder until incorporated into the resin. OPTIONAL: You can add glitter to this step if you want more sparkle!
Once mica powders are fully incorporated you are ready to pour them into your mold! Pour the colored resin in different swirl designs in the mold. You can use a popsicle stick to swirl the colors together! Use a heat gun to pop any bubble and help spread out the resin even more.
Make sure resin has been poured almost to the very top of each mold. Once your have enough resin poured and you are happy with your resin art design let the coasters cure over night. Allowing them to cure over night will ensure they are hard and easy to unmold! Yae! This is the exciting part! Unmolding your resin art Geode Coasters! Remove coasters from mold! They should look similar to the picture below!
Great job you did it!! At this point you can add your metallic paint pen to the edges of your geode coasters. This helps to give them a little more shine!Do you like this resin geode coaster tutorial? If so leave me a comment below! I’d love to hear your thoughts! 

Megan

• Flipturn

You listed the cost of the project as $20.

What exactly did you buy for only this amount?

• Megan

Hi! Once you have the mold it is reusable! :) And a small amount of resin will go a long ways. The over all break down it cost about $20 really not even that once you have the mold and resin. :)

• Christine White

Are these heat resident like can u use them like a hot plate

• Megan

Hi Christine! I have not tried them as a hot plate. I'd have to do a bit more research to see if you if the epoxy could be used as a hot plate.

• Mimi

Beautiful

• Tracey Holcomb

Stunning!! I'll definitely be trying this project. Another amazing project. Thank you for sharing

• Megan

Thank you Tracey!! SO happy to hear you like these coasters!