Painting Laminate Furniture: CD Rack Makeover

$20

Learn the quick and easy steps of painting laminate furniture the right way. These steps will give you a long-lasting professional look every time.

Not too long ago, on my way to dropping off my oldest to the bus stop, I found an old CD rack laying on the curb. I immediately turned around and put it in my trunk. I just knew I could turn it into something great. At that moment the journey to painting laminate furniture- CD Rack Makeover began.Like many of us, I feared that if I painted this laminate CD Rack the paint will come right off. That the paint job would not look “good enough” -So I did some extensive research and went to work.This is how you can too paint and update your laminate furniture.

Supplies:

• 150 grit sandpaper
  • All-purpose cleaner
  • Lint-free rag
  • Paint roller
  • Zinsser primer
  • White paint

Step 1: Take it apart and remove the hardware.

Remove all the shelves and/or drawers. Store shelf pins and hardware in a safe place for later use.

Step 2: Sand and Clean.

• Sand all the surfaces that will be painted with 150 grit sandpaper.
  • Wipe all off all dust and clean with a lint-free rag and all-purpose cleaner.
  • Make sure furniture is dry and clean before the next step.

Step 3: Prime.

• Using a lint-free roller apply 2 coats of the Zinsser primer.
  • Give it a light sanding in between coats. Make sure furniture is free of dust before applying the next coat.

Step 4: Paint.

Using a roller apply 2-3 coats of the paint of your choice. We used white satin paint.

Step 5: Reassemble.

• After the paint was dry. We decided to replace the back of our curbside pick up with a piece of 1/8 plywood we had laying around and stained it using Minwax dark walnut stain.
  • Then we continued by replacing the shelf pins and the shelves.

Step 6: Enjoy your newly painted laminate furniture: CD Rack Makeover.

This makeover turned out amazing. The paint job looks professional and has withheld the test of time thus far.I placed it in my boys’ playroom for extra storage.Are you embarking on the journey of painting a piece of laminate furniture?? We would love to know in the comments below!Don’t forget to subscribe to receive weekly inspirations!!

Home Defined HD

• Tracey

Can you use paint that already has primer?

• Christine Pardo

When painting over laminate, no, I would not skip a separate primer layer. I would use the best primer you can afford and follow instructions exactly. Them your paint will stick to laminate for ever.