Foam Sheet Ruffles and Cardboard Wreath

$20
1 Day

Dress up any door or wall with this adorable ruffle wreath! And it's not just for Valentines, either! Just change the shape of the cardboard base! I love crafting with foam sheets - also called eva foam! They can be shaped and manipulated with heat into lovely creations - I think so much better and easier than using felt or paper! And the best part, it's totally a recycle craft starting with a cardboard box and newspaper! And you won't believe how easy it is to make!
Let's get started by cutting out the side of a large cardboard box for the wreath base.
Then create a heart shape (or any shape) template out of newspaper by folding a full newspaper sheet in half, drawing a half heart as large as the height of the cardboard.
Cut that out and open it on top of the cardboard to trace.
Next, use the newspaper heart to draw a heart approximately two inches smaller to cut out. Then use that as a template to trace a smaller heart in the middle of the larger heart . . .
to cut out for the base.
And then apply tacky glue to one side, placing a foam sheet on top, smoothing it out. And let dry completely for a few hours.
While the foam heart shape base is drying, begin punching out foam circles using a 3" punch. You can get 20 circles from a 12" x 18" foam sheet. I used four different shades of pink to cut out 80 circles. It's best to turn the circle punch over to see and adjust the position of the sheet for less waste between circles.
Once all the circles are punched out, it's time to make the ruffles using a small electric griddle on low. An iron safely propped up can be used is you don't have an electric griddle. After placing a foam circle on the griddle, watch closely to see the edges curl up (it takes just seconds).
Then quickly pick it up, gently holding the sides in to create the ruffle.
Continue heating and picking up the circles to shape into ruffles until all the circles are ruffles! Then group them together in like colors.
Next, start gluing on the ruffles along one side using a quick drying glue like DAP RapidFuse or super glue. I tried using hot glue but that doesn't bond well foam sheet to foam sheet and was quite messy and took a long time to set and dry.
Continue gluing on the ruffles, alternating colors until the base is completely filled in. Using four different shades of foam sheets gives the wreath a nice visual effect and uniqueness.
And finally, tie a ribbon into a bow and staple the tails onto the back for hanging. How lovely is this!

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Edie Zsuzsics

Love this technique. It's new to me. How many times did you burn your fingers? Would a pair of tongs work to pick up the foam circle? Then just use your fingers to squeeze the other side?

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Hi Edie! Believe it or not, I've never burned my fingers heating up the foam. I guess I'm use to picking it up since it's only on heat for a few seconds and it doesn't get that hot. However, your suggestion is a great idea and I'm sure a small pair of tongs would help for a newbie until you're use to it or just feel comfortable using tongs. Thanks!