DIY Recycled Timber Shelves

$60

I had this blank wall in my kitchen that was desperate for some loving. I thought about putting in overhead cupboards but then thought I would make the space a feature instead with some beautiful recycled timber shelves.

BEFORE - so much clutter!

I bought two 2.3m planks of recycled timber from a local scrap yard for just $10AU each - total bargain. I measured the wall space and it was 2.1m, so I marked that on my timber and cut them down to size - slightly less than the wall space to allow room for a bracket.

Marking my timber, ready to cut.
Cutting the timber to size.

Once I finished cutting the timber down, I gave them a sand to smooth the surfaces and edges.

Sanding the timber.

Next, I stained the timber with some black acrylic paint & water. I put a small squirt of paint in a bowl, filled it with water, mixed it and then used a brush to paint it on. I experimented a little at the beginning, slowly adding a little more paint to the mixture until I was happy with the colour on the timber. The more paint you add, the darker the stain will be. I found a happy medium, not to dark, not too light. 👍🏻

Staining the timber

Once I was finished staining it, I let it dry completely and then sealed it with a beeswax wood polish.I then put the timber planks aside to dry again, while I got started on the brackets.To keep with the recycled theme, I decided to use some angle steel I picked up at a scrapyard to make my own brackets.

Angle steel

The angle steel I chose was heavy duty, perfect for holding the weight of the shelves.I started by marking my brackets out on the steel. I used a paint pen to mark out where I needed to cut.

Marking out my brackets

Once I had marked out all my brackets, I used a grinder to cut them out.

My brackets cut out.

I then drilled some holes into the brackets for the screws.I could have just bought brackets pre-made but when I saw the angle steel at the scrapyard for only a could dollars I figured it would be a lot cheaper to make them then buying them.As I wanted the bracket to wrap around the timber and sit flush, I had to carve away the edges of the timber where the bracket would sit, as the inside corner of the bracket had a curve in it.

Before: Does not sit flush on timber

I measured and marked on my timber where each bracket would sit and then used a saw drill bit to round off the edge on the timber, so that the bracket could sit flush.

Rounding off the edge
After: Now the bracket sits flush 👍🏻

Next, I measured and marked on the wall where my brackets would go, and then attached them all to the wall with long screws.

Brackets on the wall.

Next, with the help of my husband, I lifted the shelves up onto the brackets and then screwed them on from underneath.

Shelves in place, ready to be attached.

Lastly I screwed in 6 large hooks underneath the bottom shelf to hang some coffee mugs from.

Hooks for my mugs.

And it was done. 👍🏻 I’m very happy with how they turned out, and stoked to have some clear bench space again! 😊For more of my DIY projects, please check out my Instagram page @_prettyliving

21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!

To see more: //www.instagram.com/_prettyliving

• Skj48821294

I don't understand the meaning of m so can you tell me what the measurements is length width and thickness of the timber plank in inches and feet wise please thank-you I love your project it's so sophisticated elegant I loved that you left it open it makes it look like a bigger space !!!!

• Jess | Pretty Living

M is metres, in Australia we don’t use feet and inches as measurements. We use millimetres (mm), centimetres (cm) and metres (m).

1 metre = 3 feet + 3.37 inches. There’s heaps of you google conversion charts online to work out the different measurements. 😊