Easy Chalkboard Placemats

$4

I found these inexpensive and unique place mats at a thrift store. With a little imagination and some chalkboard paint - I knew all the fun these place mats could be.

You can see more of my crazy creations here

Here is one of the original place mats. They were extra heavy duty, with a laminate on top and cork on the bottom.

I started by cleaning the place mats to free them off all dust, dirt, oils, and debris.

I painted each of them with Folk Art Chalkboard Paint. I followed the instructions on the back giving them 2 coats and letting them dry completely.

I then seasoned the place mats with chalk. This is done by coloring the entire surface with chalk. It's an important step as this is what allows the surface to be erased. Missing this step causes the writing to stick to the paint.

After the entire piece is colored in, I erased each one.

They are ready to be used - use white or colorful chalk.

These can be used for so many different things -

Place markers

Homework

Games

Doodling

*And they can be great as lap trays - either in the house or perhaps on a car ride!

I would love to have you stop by my blog   Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/c/chascrazycreations

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Kara Wurtzel

Wow! This is great! Thanks for sharing!!

• Brahm Zuckerman
    14 minutes ago

Instead of a brush. Use a Foam Roller instead. Sand between coats, and do 3 coats instead. They will be smooths as silk, and there will be no brush strokes. They will look like real slate.