Farmhouse Pipe Tray

$20

This is just another idea for a great way to create more work space for your kids or yourself. I don't know about you but this Coronavirus has really turned my house upside down and the one thing, besides toilet paper, that we have limited supply of is space! With 5 kids now being home schooled and a husband trying to work from home as well, we needed a good solution and quick! (See my other solution using hairpin legs.)

This idea gives everyone an instant desk and is not only functional but looks great as well!

The supplies needed are:

• A 1x12 cut 24 inches long
  • Four 1/2 inch pipe flanges
  • Four 1/2 into 1/4 inch bushings (Notice I used bushings so that I could use 1/4 inch pipe instead of 1/2 inch pipe. The 1/2 inch pipe is a lot heavier and so this allows for less bulk.)
  • Six 1/4x6 inch pipes
  • Four 1/4 inch elbows
  • stain of your choice (I used Classic Gray by Minwax)
  • Sixteen 1/2 inch screws

Side note: in this picture you may notice a belt with all the other supplies. I originally planned on using an old belt of my sons to cut as two straps and screw onto the top of the tray as handles. I ended up not liking the look as much as I thought I would so I didn't include it. I also forgot to take a picture without the belt so that is why you see it here. It would still be a great idea but just not the look I was going for.

The first thing I did was sand down any rough edges on my board. Then I added one coat of stain to the top and the sides of my board and let it dry completely.

Then I screwed together all of the pipe parts as displayed above. This creates two legs for the tray to stand on.

Then I placed the first pipe leg onto one end of the bottom of the board and screwed it into place. I repeated this process on the other end of the board.

This is what it should look like after the legs are screwed into place.

This works so well for a desk for your laptop to use while sitting on your couch or bed!

But that's not all! Look how great it looks added to my home decor! I love the height it gives and the fact that it doubles as a shelf! What do you think?

• Rhonda

I really this! Thank you for sharing.

• Seedpath

I'm wondering if threaded heavy duty PVC pipe would also screw into those flanges. Then instead of being restricted to the given lengths of galvanized pipe, you could cut the length of the PVC "legs" to be as ergonomically comfortable as you want. And of course it would be a bit lighter weight and even paintable.