From Wood Stump to "No Drama" Llama Chair

$10

Do you enjoy creating something special and unique? A few weeks back we decided to make a special little person in our lives this one-of-a-kind "No Drama" llama chair.

I love how it turned out.

And judging by the pics my friend sent me of her little one on her llama chair she does too

And if llama's aren't your thing, you can adapt the chair into any animal you like. To make bones of the "No Drama" chair you'll need:

• Wooden plank, screws and glue
  • Large sheets of paper to draw a template
  • Drill and jigsaw
  • A wooden stool. You either buy them online or make your own using this easy to follow tutorial.

CREATING THE "BONES"

The first thing we need to do is create a llama-ish shape to work with. Using the stool as a guide, cut a piece of wood to form the neck of the llama.

Place the neck and stool (flipped over) onto a large sheet of paper and trace around the edges to create a basic pattern. Be sure to add at least 3" all around for the seams.

Put the pattern pieces in a safe place before gluing and screwing the neck onto the wooden stool.

ADDING SOME "FLESH "

To flesh out the llama bones you'll need:

• Small round pillow (or batting) and foam
  • Glue and a staple gun

Use the basic pattern pieces you traced earlier to cut foam and batting pieces to cover the neck and seat.

For some extra padding on the seat, I added a small round pillow first....

.... before stapling the foam over the pillowed seat and adding foam around the base of the wooden stool.

You should end up with something like this.

LLAMA-FYING THE FLESH AND BONES

Now for the fun bits - turning the flesh and bones into a llama ;-) I'm one of those people that never uses a proper pattern to make cuddly toys, so please forgive me but I'm hoping I can give you enough information to wing it like I do. To llama-fy you'll need:

• Furry fabric
  • Foam and bread knife
  • Contrasting fabric for the inside of the ears
  • Black wool
  • A teddy bear nose. A piece of black felt will work too
  • Black and white felt to make the eyes
  • Needle and thread or fabric glue

Let's start by making a tummy, snout, and ears. I use a bread knife to carve a small foam tummy and a nose for the llama.

tummy on the left and snout on the right

Cover the snout by cutting a piece of furry fabric to cover the foam and hand stitch together at the bottom of the foam snout as shown below.

Cut two banana shapes form the furry material and two smaller banana shapes from the contrasting fabric to make the ears. Pin and sew together.

Use the basic pattern pieces you cut right at the beginning to make a furry cover for the seat and neck. You'll need 2 pieces for the neck, one for the seat area and another one that goes around the base. Pin and sew the two back pieces together and slip over the llama's neck.

Add the seat piece and then the base piece. Hand sew the base piece to the seat piece. Sew on the ears and the snout.

We’re almost done, I promise  Now we just need to give our llama a nose, mouth and, eyes. I used a teddy bear nose and glued it onto the snout. The mouth is hand-stitched with black wool, and the eyes were cut from felt and glued on just above the snout. You could also embroider the nose, eyes and, mouth.

Add a pretty bow if you like and that's it.

To customize you can change the shape of the ears or the snout or even the length of the neck. Add a mane with some wool and you'll have a horse instead of a llama. Or add some pointy ears and a pointy snout with a shorter neck for a kitty chair. It's all up to you ;-) I would love to know what you think and if you need to see more step by step pictures and instructions just click on the "go" button below.

Michelle Leslie

• Crystal Cochrane

Absolutely adorable. Any child would love it. You're so creative and talented

• Sunny

Tooooo adorable!!! I wish my granddaughter was younger!

• Michelle Leslie

Thank you Sunny. My daughter is in her early 20's and she wants one too. I'm thinking I'll change things up a little and make her a unicorn