Repurposed Chafing Dish Lid Into Wind Chimes

$4

Making diy wind chimes has always been one of my favorite things to do. They can be made out of so many repurposed things.

For this wind chime I'm using an aluminum chafing dish lid, a pretty purple/pink beaded necklace, and some metal measuring spoons.

When making a wind chime I always look for the main piece first, which in this case is the aluminum lid.

Then I went to my thrifted necklace window valance, which is always changing because I use them in projects.

I wanted to find something that would compliment the silver of the lid, but also offer some contrast.

I had a few options, but the purple necklace won out. 

Here's what I needed to put my wind chime together, a hammer and finishing nail, a Sharpie, split rings, and a key ring.

I always have pliers on hand, even though I don't always need them.

The first thing to figure out is where to hang your spoon chimes.

To do that evenly space the measuring spoons in a way that looks good to you, and then with the Sharpie mark on the lid where you want the holes to be.

Because this lid is aluminum and the edge isn't very thick I was able to nail my holes into the edge rather easily.

The trick here is to let the nail do the work. Trying to force it through by hitting it too hard will just bend the nail.

It's better to hit lightly and need a few more taps.

If your lid edge is too thick you might have to use a drill and a metal bit.

After getting all my holes into the lid I filed the backs down with a rasp. This is to get rid of any jagged bits, and whether you drill or nail there will be some.

Now it's time to start putting this thing together by attaching the split rings to the measuring spoons and also through the holes in the lid.

I love using thrifted necklaces and chains for my wind chime projects, and I found this purply/pink one for just a dollar.

I divided the necklace into nine pieces, seven for the spoon chimes, and two to hang the whole chime, which you'll see farther down.

I'm using stainless steel measuring spoons, but you could also use vintage aluminum ones. They're not quite as tinkly sounding as stainless steel, but they still sound pretty. 

I varied the lengths of the necklace pieces for interest, and attached them to the split rings in the chafing dish lid.

I love the combo of the purply pinks with the silver.

Here's my repurposed chafing dish wind chime hanging in my back yard.

The lid is so pretty. You can close up the flower as well to make it look more like a rose bud, but I like it open.

To finish off my wind chime, and to add a little bling, (because who doesn't love a little bling?) I added a glass chandelier crystal at the top. (Which you can't see here because of the photo shape, but you can check it out in my blog post)

This was a pretty easy wind chime to create because no power tools were needed. And the great thing about using measuring spoons as the chimes is that they come with the holes.

If you enjoyed this project you can find more Repurposed Wind Chime projects here.

Color Me Thrifty

• Cheryl Memmel

If you don’t have a chafing dish cover, what else could you use.

• Mary Joyce

I would say any lightweight metal tops from cooking pots, pie pans an metal Baskets.

• This is so pretty, thank you for sharing this fun idea. I want to make some similar wind chimes around the yard and you make this look so easy and fun!!

I have to tell you, I have the same chafing dish with lid, but my flower on the lid is closed. The matching tray is so lovely, I have it out on display in my kitchen, the detail on the handles is amazing! These were wedding gifts to my parents over 60 years ago. Love these pieces!

• Color Me Thrifty

Thanks Elizabeth! I love making wind chimes out of so many things and this project was quite easy. Your tray is lovely. There's just something about the aged patina of aluminum pieces that is just so beautiful. How wonderful that you have those pieces from your parents. That's really special.

• Maureen

Hi. Very creative. I have the same chafing dish from my parents. It also is over 65 years old.

• Color Me Thrifty

Thanks Maureen! I only had the lid, but how wonderful to have the dish part as well. What a lovely keepsake.