Ikea Bench Hack

$150
1 Day

This month I decided I wanted to refresh my dining room. It’s the first room I decorated when I moved into this rented house four years ago, but recently I felt it was time for a change. I had outgrown it’s industrial style (more on the actual makeover coming soon) .The first order of business was to build a new DIY seating ..

I had some old ikea units and decided to use them to make a seating

Here is how I did it

MATERIALS USED :

• 3 X KALLAX single units (or the 4 shelf unit )
  • 6 x Timber wood planks 18 x 144mm cut tot the length of the bench (
  • Wood filler
  • Sanding machine
  • Primer –
  • Saw tooth picture hooks –
  • Headboard (double size)
  • Paint – I used left over paint from my
  • Nails and hammer
  • Foam roller
  • Paint brush
  • Painters tape
  • Wood Glue

HOW TO:

Heres my video:

clean

The first thing I did was give these KALLAX units a good dusting and clean. I then brought them outside into my garden to assess the damage. 

To secure the KALLAX units together and create a more sturdy seating surface (whilst also covering up some of the damage to the tops of the units), I used wood planks.

There were lots of holes and areas where the laminate veneer had pulled off. To fix this I applied wood filler to these areas and the gaps using a spatula

Once the filler was dry, i sanded it all down, then started to pant. Here is my 5 step process for painting IKEA furniture

For choice of paint, I started with primer and then finished with Vaslpar Matt Emulsion Char Latte for the top, and Brilliant White for the bottom.

And finally I added a headboard - see blog link below to see how i turned a headboard made for a bed into a backrest for this bench

What do you think? Let me know what you think of this hack

Medina at Grillo Designs