Wooden Vegetable Garden Markers

$20
1 Day

We built a raised garden bed a few years ago and every year we learn something new. One lesson is that although we stick a small marker (you know that small, plastic one that comes with the plant) to identify what we planted, we somehow lose half of them within weeks. This year I decided to create wooden vegetable garden markers, sturdy enough to test the outdoor elements.

Supplies
  • Lattice molding (1/4″ x 1-1/4″) –cut into 8″ pieces
  • 6″ Wood plant labels
  • Dark Walnut wood stain (or black & brown acrylic paint)
  • Copper metallic spray paint
  • #3 carpet tacks
  • scissors/measuring tape
  • drill/drill bit
  • Black permanent or paint marker (I used a Cricut)
  • Wood sealer
Cut Wood

I purchased my lattice molding at a big box store (sold per foot so calculate how much you’ll need) and cut it with my miter saw into 8″ pieces. I then made a point at the bottom so it’d stick into the ground easier. I stained all of them with Dark Walnut stain.

Cut Plant Labels

Next, I used a pair of scissors and cut the wood plant labels into 2-3/4″ pieces. I made extra incase the nail would split them and I’ll tell you right now, it DID on a few of them so I was glad I had extra.

Paint

To get the metallic look of copper on my wooden vegetable garden markers, I used a copper metallic spray paint.

Lettering

I used my Cricut to cut 1/2″ tall letters and attached them to the copper wood pieces. If you don’t have a vinyl cutting machine, you could write with a permanent or paint marker.

Nails

I then used carpet tacks (did I tell you I have a thing with unique hardware?) to attach the copper colored wood piece to the stake. I found that drilling a small hole with my drill, 1/16″ drill bit, even if it didn’t go all the way through, helped cut down on accidentally splitting the wood.

Seal

I sprayed them with a clear sealant in a satin finish. Make sure to let dry 24 hours before using the wooden vegetable markers to make sure they are thoroughly dry and sealed.

You might also like my Farmhouse Style Herb Pots

or my Wood and Copper Herb Markers.

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Pamela - DIY vibes

• April
    April

Wont the sun fade these?

• Pamela - DIY vibes
      Pamela - DIY vibes

The text is permanent vinyl made from my Cricut machine. According to Cricut, it is water proof and UV resistant for up to 3 years, plus I sealed it. It's similar to the material of a decal on a car window.

• M.L. Friel
    M.L. Friel

I went to the Dollar store, both white plastic knives, forks, & spoons...very inexpensive. Then used a Sharpie Marker to mark the knives to indicate dig up or plant the things I've separated, then spoons as plant identification. The Forks you can put in the ground, prongs pointing upwards to keep rabbits & chipmunks out of a garden area. Inexpensive & Very Useful.

• M.L. Friel
    M.L. Friel

It's Me Again, Recently chipmunks or squirrels got into some potted plants, so I used the plastic Forks, stick them handle down (prongs up) around the edge of the pot. My son-in-law had a problem with rabbits getting into his vegetable garden, he tried it & guess what...No more rabbits. Voila! Problem Solved!

Knives: plant marker to Plant. Spoons: plant identification. Forks: to keep unwanted critters out of your garden.

• I forgot about the fork trick!! I have 2 baby bunnies getting into my veggie garden...and there’s a big chipmunk problem in NH this Spring. Chipmunks made tunnels under 2 of my tall phlox to the point the roots are hanging out!

• Pamela- I love this idea!!