Wooden Vegetable Garden Markers

$20
1 Day

We built a raised garden bed a few years ago and every year we learn something new. One lesson is that although we stick a small marker (you know that small, plastic one that comes with the plant) to identify what we planted, we somehow lose half of them within weeks. This year I decided to create wooden vegetable garden markers, sturdy enough to test the outdoor elements.

Supplies

• Lattice molding (1/4″ x 1-1/4″) –cut into 8″ pieces
  • 6″ Wood plant labels
  • Dark Walnut wood stain (or black & brown acrylic paint)
  • Copper metallic spray paint
  • #3 carpet tacks
  • scissors/measuring tape
  • drill/drill bit
  • Black permanent or paint marker (I used a Cricut)
  • Wood sealer

Cut Wood

I purchased my lattice molding at a big box store (sold per foot so calculate how much you’ll need) and cut it with my miter saw into 8″ pieces. I then made a point at the bottom so it’d stick into the ground easier. I stained all of them with Dark Walnut stain.

Cut Plant Labels

Next, I used a pair of scissors and cut the wood plant labels into 2-3/4″ pieces. I made extra incase the nail would split them and I’ll tell you right now, it DID on a few of them so I was glad I had extra.

Paint

To get the metallic look of copper on my wooden vegetable garden markers, I used a copper metallic spray paint.

Lettering

I used my Cricut to cut 1/2″ tall letters and attached them to the copper wood pieces. If you don’t have a vinyl cutting machine, you could write with a permanent or paint marker.

Nails

I then used carpet tacks (did I tell you I have a thing with unique hardware?) to attach the copper colored wood piece to the stake. I found that drilling a small hole with my drill, 1/16″ drill bit, even if it didn’t go all the way through, helped cut down on accidentally splitting the wood.

Seal

I sprayed them with a clear sealant in a satin finish. Make sure to let dry 24 hours before using the wooden vegetable markers to make sure they are thoroughly dry and sealed.

You might also like my Farmhouse Style Herb Pots

Pamela - DIY vibes

• April

Wont the sun fade these?

• April

I was really wondering more about the text. But it does look fantastic.

• M.L. Friel

I went to the Dollar store, both white plastic knives, forks, & spoons...very inexpensive. Then used a Sharpie Marker to mark the knives to indicate dig up or plant the things I've separated, then spoons as plant identification. The Forks you can put in the ground, prongs pointing upwards to keep rabbits & chipmunks out of a garden area. Inexpensive & Very Useful.