Wood Framed Flower Vase

$5

Since I love displaying fresh flowers, I thought I'd make something unique to display them out of the scrap wood I already had in my garage. Here is what you'll need to make a framed flower vase:

• 1″ x 4″ x 4′ board
  • sand paper 80 grit
  • drill
  • pre-stain wood conditioner/stain
  • wood glue/nails
  • small jar (got mine for the dollar store)
  • 6′ twine (cut into two 3′ pieces)

Cut the Wood

The first thing I did was to cut my board into four pieces, two 10″ pieces and two 8″ pieces.

Drill a Hole & Stain the Wood

Next I drilled a hole in one of the 8″ pieces (this will be your top) using a 1/8 drill bit. Make sure it's in the center.

To prepare for the stain, I sanded all the pieces down with 80 grit sandpaper and wiped them with a clean, lint free cloth. I then applied a wood conditioner. Wood conditioner (sometimes called pre-stain) helps seal the wood so the stain doesn’t soak in unevenly, resulting in a blotchy look. I used Dark Walnut stain, one of my favorites. You could also paint the wood if you’d like.

Assemble

Once dry, it was time to assemble the wood frame. The nails went through the 8″ pieces. I put a little bit of the wood glue onto the end of the 10″ piece and butt it against the 8″ piece. Then I nailed it together. I did the same to the other 10″ piece. It helps to keep the frame on its side like in the photo above.

Tying Twine

For the vase, I bought a small textured jar from the dollar store. I cut two 3′ pieces of twine and one at a time, wrapped them twice around the neck of the jar, making sure my ends were even and then tied a knot. I turned the jar around and did the same thing on the opposite side.

Feed Twine Through Hole

I double checked that the knots were directly across from each other on the jar so it’d stay evenly balanced, and fed the twine up through the hole.

Tie Knot

I tied one big knot with all four ends and trimmed the them down to about an inch.

You could use this for fresh flowers like I did, or trade out the jar for a planter and add a plant. What do you think?

You might also like my Farmhouse Style Herb Pots.

Or my Mason Jar Wall Decor.

Pamela - DIY vibes