Lampshade - Up-cycled Old Slides to Make a Lampshade

$30
4 Weeks
Advanced

I had a box of old slides in the back of a cupboard that I used for teaching art (pre-internet). Pinterest inspiration led me to create a lampshade.

Step 1 - Getting tools ready

I made sure I had the right sort of pliers and drill bit. You'll be connecting rings to all of your slides, so the pliers are very important.

Step 2 - Drilling holes

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

I poked six holes in each slide (2 on each of the longer horizontal sides, 1 on each of the shorter vertical sides) so that they could all be linked together.

Step 3 - Calculating the number of holes and jump rings needed

These are the 7mm jump rings I used. I purchased from eBay - £2.98 for 200.

4 - Making the frame

I used 2mm brass rod and lampshade frame. I joined the two with brass electrical connectors minus the plastic.

5 - Rolling the joined slides onto a homemade frame

Once I had the slides joined (not an easy task!) I was ready to roll it on the handmade frame! I just wrapped it around and secured the sides.

Close-up of slides joined together

Here's a close-up of the slides joined together.

Here's the finished product in the day.

Positioned near the window to catch sunlight during the day.

Here's the finished product in the night. Only use a low wattage LED bulb for this kind of lampshade. Normal tungsten bulbs can create too much heat and therefore a risk of combustion/fire.

How unique and beautiful is that?!

15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!

To see more: https://pin.it/3k0P393

• Holly McElhiney

That is a very impressive project!! Bravo!

I was curious if you arranged the slides in any particular order? Also wonder if they’re of you, or someone you know that travels, or anything in particular? I’m thinking “story lamp”??

And on a side note do you know whether the sun or light in general would deteriorate the slides over time?

• Flipturn

If any slides happen to fade to the extent that you did not find them attractive anymore, simply swap them out with new replacements.

• Teresa

So very cool! What did you use as a base? Do you think this would work with film strips? Teresa

• Leslie

Film strips are flammable. They can burst into flame if hot enough and are virtually inextinguishable. That being said this is a lovely use for film slides but I would make darn sure I had a low heat emitting LED bulb in the socket.